Stair Vignette - Sajjad Alternate Attempt - Testing Tomorrow

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette - Sajjad Alternate Attempt - Testing Tomorrow

Postby jennifer7308 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 am

Sajjad alternate (program below)- testing tomorrow so any comments would be very helpful. While tight, I think this went ok...minus the doors reducing the stair landings by more than half. If it's a 3'-0" door, and the program requires a 5'-6" stair (based on occupant load of storage level:440/2 X .3 = 66" or 5'-6"), then that means I need 2'-9" further past the extent of the door swing in the landing...which I definitely don't have on the top landing. Am I interpreting that correctly? Is that an automatic fail? I was able to adjust the one to the storage room within the allotted time, but I ran out of time for the top.

Also what's the verdict on L-shape landings? It would mean drawing (2) separate landings side by side, but if I note them as the same elevation is that ok? Or would that negatively impact my score?

Thanks!

--------
In order to meet new accessibility standards and increased occupant loads, schematic plans are being developed for a new exit located within an existing stairwell in a two-story Administration Building. The design for the other building exits -- a second stairway and the building’s main entrance -- has been completed.

1. Design the stairway to serve as a means of egress from all three building levels leading into the stairwell and through the exit discharge door to the sidewalk at grade (a public way).
 The stairway must provide a continuous path from Second floor to Ground floor exit that includes a landing at the Intermediate level.

2. The total occupant load and number of exits for each level of the building are as follows:

Building Level Total Occupant Load Number of Exits
Ground Floor Level 5 1
Storage Room 440 2
Second Floor 320 2

3. The stairs will be constructed from precast concrete components with the following dimensions:
 Landings: 9 inches deep between the landing soffit and the surface.
 Stair flights/stringers: 12 inches deep between the stair nosings and the stringer soffit measured along a line perpendicular to the soffit.

CODE
Use the written stair code provided with the NCARB problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jennifer7308

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS