Stair Design Vignette - Attempt 1

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Design Vignette - Attempt 1

Postby jennifer7308 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 am

First attempt so any comments are much appreciated. I watched the NCARB video after I drew this attempt so I now realize that handrails at cutstairs can stop at the cutline, and not extend to the whole run, like I showed.

A couple of handrail questions:
- Can the handrail intrude into the push/pull of a door? What about the 'front approach' door clearance (specifically questioning the janitor's closet landing that I drew at 48" with the handrail sticking into it)? And lastly, what about handrails intruding into the Area of Refuge? I avoided that in this version but asking in case things get tight on the actual exam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jennifer7308

Re: Stair Design Vignette - Attempt 1

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 pm

jennifer7308 wrote:I now realize that handrails at cutstairs can stop at the cutline, and not extend to the whole run, like I showed.

Should stop at cut line.

- Can the handrail intrude into the push/pull of a door? What about the 'front approach' door clearance (specifically questioning the janitor's closet landing that I drew at 48" with the handrail sticking into it)?

Rail mounted on door wall may encroach.

And lastly, what about handrails intruding into the Area of Refuge?

No. AOR must be clear.

Rail returns to wall are unnecessary.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS