All 3 Vignettes - Testing in 4 days!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

All 3 Vignettes - Testing in 4 days!

Postby wws341234 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:26 am

Hi,

This is my attempt on time trial for all 3 graphic vignettes. Please let me know if there's any comments. Testing in 4 days.

Questions:
1. For my roof vignette, I've set my upper roof low point 2' higher than my lower roofs. Would it be ok if my upper roof is a lot higher than needed for the Clerestory window?
2. For my stairs vignette, my landing is bigger than required to fit my area of refuge. Technically i can go bigger on my 2/f landing as long as there's no head room issue is that correct?
3. Can handrail/guardrail protrude into door landing?

ARE BDCS STAIRS_1F 2018-03-04s.jpg

ARE BDCS RAMP 2018-03-04s.jpg

ARE BDCS ROOF 2018-03-04s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wws341234

Re: All 3 Vignettes - Testing in 4 days!

Postby wws341234 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 am

wws341234 wrote:Hi,

This is my attempt on time trial for all 3 graphic vignettes. Please let me know if there's any comments. Testing in 4 days.

Questions:
1. For my roof vignette, I've set my upper roof low point 2' higher than my lower roofs. Would it be ok if my upper roof is a lot higher than needed for the Clerestory window?
2. For my stairs vignette, my landing is bigger than required to fit my area of refuge. Technically i can go bigger on my 2/f landing as long as there's no head room issue is that correct?
3. Can handrail/guardrail protrude into door landing?
I just realised coach has answered my question from previous post. "Rail mounted on door wall may encroach onto CFA."
ARE BDCS STAIRS_1F 2018-03-04s.jpg

ARE BDCS RAMP 2018-03-04s.jpg

ARE BDCS ROOF 2018-03-04s.jpg
wws341234

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:22 pm

wws341234 wrote:1. For my roof vignette, I've set my upper roof low point 2' higher than my lower roofs. Would it be ok if my upper roof is a lot higher than needed for the Clerestory window?

I don't recommend sheds.

2. For my stairs vignette, my landing is bigger than required to fit my area of refuge.

Not much.

Technically i can go bigger on my 2/f landing as long as there's no head room issue is that correct?

Not sure what you're getting at.

Stair
Is you draw entire stair on one level it must be on upper level and don't use cuts. However, I recommend always using cuts.

Ramp looks good.

Roof
Move toilet room pvent closer to middle of fixture cluster.
Passable
Coach
Site Admin

Postby wws341234 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 am

Coach wrote:
wws341234 wrote:1. For my roof vignette, I've set my upper roof low point 2' higher than my lower roofs. Would it be ok if my upper roof is a lot higher than needed for the Clerestory window?

I don't recommend sheds.

2. For my stairs vignette, my landing is bigger than required to fit my area of refuge.

Not much.

Technically i can go bigger on my 2/f landing as long as there's no head room issue is that correct?

Not sure what you're getting at. What I"m asking is if it's ok to make 2/f floor a lot bigger than required to fit all clearance requirements? Right now i have 4" for handrail + 60" for door landing clearance + 30" for refuge width + 4" for guardrail. That puts the width of 2/f landing at 98". If i just drew a 150" long 2/F landing for the sake of speed and tolerance will that hurt my points for going too big?

Stair
Is you draw entire stair on one level it must be on upper level and don't use cuts. However, I recommend always using cuts.

Ramp looks good.

Roof
Move toilet room pvent closer to middle of fixture cluster.
Passable

For the Clerestory Window, should i draw it centre of the wall? or towards the outer face of wall? I looked up the NCARB Exam Guide and it looks like it's offset to the outer side of the wall just touching the flashing...
wws341234

Postby Coach » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 am

wws341234 wrote:What I"m asking is if it's ok to make 2/f floor a lot bigger than required to fit all clearance requirements? Right now i have 4" for handrail + 60" for door landing clearance + 30" for refuge width + 4" for guardrail. That puts the width of 2/f landing at 98". If i just drew a 150" long 2/F landing for the sake of speed and tolerance will that hurt my points for going too big?

You won't always have the luxury of space to get sloppy. Some extra space is fine.

For the Clerestory Window, should i draw it centre of the wall?

Yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby wws341234 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Coach wrote:
wws341234 wrote:What I"m asking is if it's ok to make 2/f floor a lot bigger than required to fit all clearance requirements? Right now i have 4" for handrail + 60" for door landing clearance + 30" for refuge width + 4" for guardrail. That puts the width of 2/f landing at 98". If i just drew a 150" long 2/F landing for the sake of speed and tolerance will that hurt my points for going too big?

You won't always have the luxury of space to get sloppy. Some extra space is fine.

For the Clerestory Window, should i draw it centre of the wall?

Yes.

Got it, thanks Coach!
wws341234

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS