Roof vignette - shed vs. gable?

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof vignette - shed vs. gable?

Postby OBJD » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 pm

Coach et al - I did a quick search of the keywords, "shed" and "gable," and I read, "I don't recommend sheds." While I'm sure the actual exam will be much more complicated, the practice vignette could be easily solved with a lower shed sloping down to the west and an upper shed sloping down to the east.

So... why wouldn't I use a shed here?
OBJD

Re: Roof vignette - shed vs. gable?

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm

OBJD wrote:Coach et al - I did a quick search of the keywords, "shed" and "gable," and I read, "I don't recommend sheds." While I'm sure the actual exam will be much more complicated, the practice vignette could be easily solved with a lower shed sloping down to the west and an upper shed sloping down to the east.

Because it's inefficient and impractical.
Use gables.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby OBJD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:08 am

Coach wrote:
OBJD wrote:Coach et al - I did a quick search of the keywords, "shed" and "gable," and I read, "I don't recommend sheds." While I'm sure the actual exam will be much more complicated, the practice vignette could be easily solved with a lower shed sloping down to the west and an upper shed sloping down to the east.

Because it's inefficient and impractical.
Use gables.

Perhaps so [or perhaps not - after fifteen years of professional practice, I could argue in the contrary, but that's a waste of both your time and mine], but it solves the problem.

But that's fine. Use gables. So, why not center the ridge on the upper roof of the practice vignette? The "Sample Passing Solution" in the NCARB guide shows it off-center [a la Sea Ranch], but that seems inefficient to me.
OBJD

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

OBJD wrote:So, why not center the ridge on the upper roof of the practice vignette?

Ask ncarb.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS