Ramp Vignette first practice

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp Vignette first practice

Postby cuervo383 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello, this is my first pass at the ramp vignette. Since the room is 24' wide, the southern most ramp is 14' long, middle ramp is 9' long, and the last one is 7' long. In total, my run is 30', which is a slope of 1/12 for a 30" rise.

Some questions:
I made all the landing widths and ramp & stair widths 5' wide to be safe. Is this overkill? I know the min is 44" wide, but i figured since the landing has to accomodate the 5' turnaround, this was the safe route.
Do all the handrails need to have the same exact projection into the ramp? Is it ok if some are maybe 3" and some are 2?
Speaking of handrails, at the turnaround, i overlapped them. Is that ok?
At the top of the stair, I also hugged the corner and extended 1' there. That ok?

Thanks!

Ramp_01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuervo383

Re: Ramp Vignette first practice

Postby Coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 pm

cuervo383 wrote:I made all the landing widths and ramp & stair widths 5' wide to be safe. Is this overkill? I know the min is 44" wide, but i figured since the landing has to accomodate the 5' turnaround, this was the safe route.

It's fine but I wouldn't walk into the exam assuming you can do the same thing because space may not allow it.

Do all the handrails need to have the same exact projection into the ramp? Is it ok if some are maybe 3" and some are 2?

You should be consistent.

Why not?

At the top of the stair, I also hugged the corner and extended 1' there. That ok?

Yes.

Egress narrows at base of stair.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cuervo383 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Coach wrote:
cuervo383 wrote:I made all the landing widths and ramp & stair widths 5' wide to be safe. Is this overkill? I know the min is 44" wide, but i figured since the landing has to accomodate the 5' turnaround, this was the safe route.

It's fine but I wouldn't walk into the exam assuming you can do the same thing because space may not allow it.
Don't all those switchbacks and landings have to be 5' to allow for a turning space of a wheelchair? That's what taking up space.
Should I make the ramps themselves only 44"?

You should be consistent.
Got it thanks!

Why not?
Reason i ask is because since there's no way to draw a railing turning, should I overlap them, or try to get them to butt up against one another?

Yes.

Got it thanks!

Egress narrows at base of stair.
Not sure i get what Egress Narrows at base of stair means. There is 5' in front of stair.
cuervo383

Postby cuervo383 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:46 am

What do you think of this one? I moved the stair around a bit and made all the ramps 44" while keeping the 5' turnaround in the landings.
Ramp_02.JPG

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuervo383

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 am

cuervo383 wrote:Don't all those switchbacks and landings have to be 5' to allow for a turning space of a wheelchair?

5', yes. Turning circle, not always.

Should I make the ramps themselves only 44"?

That would be my first choice, but 5' is ok.

Reason i ask is because since there's no way to draw a railing turning, should I overlap them, or try to get them to butt up against one another?

Either way, but the easiest way is to connect at insertion points.

Not sure i get what Egress Narrows at base of stair means. There is 5' in front of stair.

Maybe so, but what happens when you turn west to exit?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:59 am

cuervo383 wrote:What do you think of this one? I moved the stair around a bit and made all the ramps 44" while keeping the 5' turnaround in the landings.

Passable, but note that when required, turning circle must be clear.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cuervo383 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Coach wrote:
cuervo383 wrote:What do you think of this one? I moved the stair around a bit and made all the ramps 44" while keeping the 5' turnaround in the landings.

Passable, but note that when required, turning circle must be clear.

Does that mean handrails can't encroach into the "clear"?
cuervo383

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 pm

cuervo383 wrote:Does that mean handrails can't encroach into the "clear"?[/color]

"Clear" means clear.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cuervo383 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Coach wrote:
cuervo383 wrote:Does that mean handrails can't encroach into the "clear"?[/color]

"Clear" means clear.

Got it Thanks Coach!
cuervo383

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS