Ramp Vignette - First Attempt

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp Vignette - First Attempt

Postby jennifer7308 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Looking for input! I put landings at the bottom 0'-0" elevation (which I now see is not correct after looking at some other uploaded vignette attempts).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jennifer7308

Re: Ramp Vignette - First Attempt

Postby Coach » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Egress narrows at base of stair.
New door is too small.
Stop landing wall rails at extension.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jennifer7308 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 am

Hi coach,

Thanks for reviewing. I'm not sure what to do about the doors. The lobby exit doors were 36" each, but when I placed (2) 36" doors in the existing hallway they physically didn't fit inside the hallway. So I went down to the next biggest size (32"). Am I missing something?

Also where specifically are you talking about stopping the landing wall rails? Per their code, I extended 12" past all top/bottom landings.

Thanks for your help.
jennifer7308

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am

jennifer7308 wrote:Thanks for reviewing. I'm not sure what to do about the doors. The lobby exit doors were 36" each, but when I placed (2) 36" doors in the existing hallway they physically didn't fit inside the hallway.

The lobby doors have no bearing on what is required.

So I went down to the next biggest size (32"). Am I missing something?

The code requires a 32" min CLEAR.

Also where specifically are you talking about stopping the landing wall rails? Per their code, I extended 12" past all top/bottom landings.

You ran outer rails continuously around entire landing at corners.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jennifer7308 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Ok I think I understand now. See attached for 2nd attempt. I believe I corrected my main errors from before...but would this be considered overbuilding? Everything is at 5' wide now, because I'm a little confused about narrowing the path of egress when the ramp turns. When I have a switchback ramp is it possible to have smaller than a 5'x10' landing? Also in the scenario I've drawn, if I had made the stair 44" wide, would that have been considering narrowing the path of egress (since my combo ramp/stair landing is 5' wide)? Thanks again for all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jennifer7308

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 pm

jennifer7308 wrote:I believe I corrected my main errors from before...but would this be considered overbuilding?

It's certainly not the most efficient but probably not a deduct.

Everything is at 5' wide now, because I'm a little confused about narrowing the path of egress when the ramp turns.

Since the first run on the way to the exit is 5', the that width must be maintained. That has nothing to do with turn or landing size.

When I have a switchback ramp is it possible to have smaller than a 5'x10' landing?

Yes, if ramps are 44".

Also in the scenario I've drawn, if I had made the stair 44" wide, would that have been considering narrowing the path of egress

No. Landing size has no bearing on required stair width, and I recommend keeping stair at min width because it nearly caused a narrowing at base of ramp.

Consistently hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jennifer7308 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 am

Ok. Thank you so much!
jennifer7308

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS