Stair 1st Try: NCARB 4.0 Example

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair 1st Try: NCARB 4.0 Example

Postby Concord55 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

I would appreciate any comments since this is my first time doing this vignette.

For the landing on the janitor level, I made sure to have 12" to the side of the door and that my 12" handrail extension does not project into that space. I therefore had to make two landings there since it's really an "L" shape. Is this allowed?

I realize that I make the 3" sketch rectangles for the handrails but then I placed them so that I have 2" of space between the outside of the railing and the edge of the stair. My stair width is 56" (48" between the handrails), but NCARB seems to do it so that there is only 1" between the exterior of the railing and edge of stair. Perhaps it doesn't matter because I still meet the 48" code between the handrails, but maybe it's safer to have the extra inch on both sides of the handrails for 50" between handrails.

Thanks for any feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Concord55

Re: Stair 1st Try: NCARB 4.0 Example

Postby Concord55 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 am

I see now that the top landing on the second floor is not big enough. The handrails are protruding I to the 5’x5’ wheelchair space and as I understand it, nothing should protrude into this space.
Concord55

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS