3.1 Vignettes - Test Monday! Please help COACH

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

3.1 Vignettes - Test Monday! Please help COACH

Postby carpar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Thanks Coach for the videos... so so helpful!
Here are my vignettes with questions:

Ramp:
- Not that this condition is shown, but is a handrail in the CFA okay if is along the wall perpemdular to the door?
- What if the vignette shows two exit corridors, do we need to put a door and wall on both? Or only where there is an elevation change? Is there any condition where you need to place more than one door and wall?\
- Is the gap between the stair and ramp acceptable?
- Could I have made the ramp 44" width, making the landing 88" long, 5' deep minimum (would need to be deeper to accomodate turning circle)? It doesn't necessarily need to be 10' by 5', for each ramp run to have it's own 5' x 5' minumum?
- I have another ramp version where I try bending the rail but my clearance ends up at the centreline of the handrail. Bad, right?

Stair:
- Is the Egress width from the door at ground floor to the exterior door based on occupant load exit width?
- Are two Area of refuges required, based on per every 200 occupants?
- Is the vignette at all graded on efficiency of stair? Is it more about just making it all work?

Thanks so much... I really need to pass this exam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carpar

Re: 3.1 Vignettes - Test Monday! Please help COACH

Postby Coach » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm

carpar wrote:Thanks Coach for the videos... so so helpful!

:)

Ramp:
- Not that this condition is shown, but is a handrail in the CFA okay if is along the wall perpendicular to the door?

Yes.

- What if the vignette shows two exit corridors, do we need to put a door and wall on both? Or only where there is an elevation change? Is there any condition where you need to place more than one door and wall?\

Follow the program.

- Is the gap between the stair and ramp acceptable?

Not great. I would widen stair and wrap rail (without extension) to connect with ramp rail.

- Could I have made the ramp 44" width, making the landing 88" long, 5' deep minimum

Yes.

(would need to be deeper to accomodate turning circle)?

It depends on how rails end up. Just make sure circle fits.

It doesn't necessarily need to be 10' by 5', for each ramp run to have it's own 5' x 5' minumum?

Well, each run needs a 5x5 landing but those areas can overlap.

- I have another ramp version where I try bending the rail but my clearance ends up at the centreline of the handrail. Bad, right?

I'd have to see it but circle must be clear. Circles tend to render larger so it's probably ok. In a pinch, I'd let it go.

Stair:
- Is the Egress width from the door at ground floor to the exterior door based on occupant load exit width?

Yep.

- Are two Area of refuges required, based on per every 200 occupants?

No. Stair load is only 110. That said, if you do provide space for two, it's fine because there is no AOR drawing element and you can't be downgraded for it.

- Is the vignette at all graded on efficiency of stair? Is it more about just making it all work?

I'm sure there's an efficiency component but it can't be terribly anal. Just be reasonable. For example, your top landing is fine.

Roof
Upper roof is too high.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby carpar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you so much Coach.

I took the highest point available on the low roof, then added the roof assembly and clerestory height to that.
Should I have taken the highest point at the east wall where the clerestory is instead?

In regards to egress width from stair to exterior door, that path needs to maintain the width of the stair (not to decrease the egress travel path) correct? In BOTH stair and ramp/stair vignettes?

I have attached a ramp version where I bend the rail at the end of the stair.It looks like the rail projects by 1". Is this acceptable? I feel like if I encounter this condition in the exam, I'd panic and change orientation of the stair to avoid this issue, even though it's a less efficient design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carpar

Postby Coach » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:52 pm

carpar wrote:I took the highest point available on the low roof, then added the roof assembly and clerestory height to that. Should I have taken the highest point at the east wall where the clerestory is instead?

Yes.

In regards to egress width from stair to exterior door, that path needs to maintain the width of the stair (not to decrease the egress travel path) correct? In BOTH stair and ramp/stair vignettes?

Yes.

I have attached a ramp version where I bend the rail at the end of the stair.It looks like the rail projects by 1". Is this acceptable?

Yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby carpar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Coach wrote:
carpar wrote:I took the highest point available on the low roof, then added the roof assembly and clerestory height to that. Should I have taken the highest point at the east wall where the clerestory is instead?

The NCARB Solution shows a higher upper roof ridge... is it better just to be efficient? will points be docked if we make it higher?

Yes.

Yes.

I have attached a ramp version where I bend the rail at the end of the stair.It looks like the rail projects by 1". Is this acceptable?

Yes.

And this is because the exit route can have a handrail projection of 4"?
Thanks for your patience Coach - just making sure I get it.

carpar

Postby Coach » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:48 pm

carpar wrote:The NCARB Solution shows a higher upper roof ridge...

That's because the low roof is higher. They used 3:12.

is it better just to be efficient?

Yes.

Yes.

And this is because the exit route can have a handrail projection of 4"?

Yes, because the rail is parallel to path of travel.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS