Roof Alt

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof Alt

Postby matt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 pm

I thought I had this vignette until I saw this alternate which has raised a lot of strategic questions for me.

1. The code says that the ceiling has to be at a minimum of 8+1'6" (structure)=9'6." Can it be higher?
The reason I ask is because I reluctantly had to make the lower gable roof asymmetrical. This means the ridge of each roof has to be the same height but can the eaves be different heights or do I have to change the slope?

2. Since the software wont automatically calculate the slope when given two roof edge elevations, then I had to play a game where I set the low elevation and then adjust the slope to get the correct ridge elevation. I was hoping that there would be a few other suggestions regarding layout in you video but it was the standard simple roof Any ideas for a better strategy?

3. How crucial is the length of the cricket? The example in your video was easy because it was on a 45 deg. angle so the length of the cricket would be half of the base. Do I need to calculate precisely if the roof slope is not 45 deg.?

Testing next week

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt

Re: Roof Alt

Postby Coach » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm

matt wrote:1. The code says that the ceiling has to be at a minimum of 8+1'6" (structure)=9'6." Can it be higher?

Yes, if necessary.

can the eaves be different heights

Yes.

2. Since the software wont automatically calculate the slope when given two roof edge elevations, then I had to play a game where I set the low elevation and then adjust the slope to get the correct ridge elevation. I was hoping that there would be a few other suggestions regarding layout in you video but it was the standard simple roof Any ideas for a better strategy?

As is said in the video, do not mess with slopes. Keep it simple.

3. How crucial is the length of the cricket? The example in your video was easy because it was on a 45 deg. angle so the length of the cricket would be half of the base. Do I need to calculate precisely if the roof slope is not 45 deg.?

The angle is always 45. The roof slope is irrelevant. When the angle is 45 it indicates that the cricket slope matches the roof slope.

I don't know this program, but in other posts I've seen, the vestibule and porch are under high roof.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS