Roof - NCARB - questions

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof - NCARB - questions

Postby PeekaBoo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi!

Roof - NCARB 4.0

1st attempt at this vignette after failing the real thing...and I don't feel confident....

1) For downspouts, is there a rule of thumb in terms of placement and distance between? (ex. every 20'?) I placed them at the ends, and place one in the middle if it seemed to be a long run...

2) Roof plane along the wall with the clerestory...I would think that it is easiest to have the pitch of the upper roof at this location so that is horizontal. However, in my attempt, the roof slopes along the wall of the clerestory. Is that okay....as long as the lowest height of the slope is above the clerestory? (lower roof 15'6" + clerestory height 24" + upper roof thickness 18" = 19'0")

3) Is it okay that the upper roof is 35'6" in comparison to the lower roofs which are 12'6" and 15'6" ...

Please help as I'm feeling kind of lost! Thanks in advance.

Peek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeekaBoo

Re: Roof - NCARB - questions

Postby Coach » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:51 pm

PeekaBoo wrote:1) For downspouts, is there a rule of thumb in terms of placement and distance between? (ex. every 20'?) I placed them at the ends, and place one in the middle if it seemed to be a long run...

One at each end is adequate.

2) Roof plane along the wall with the clerestory...I would think that it is easiest to have the pitch of the upper roof at this location so that is horizontal. However, in my attempt, the roof slopes along the wall of the clerestory. Is that okay....as long as the lowest height of the slope is above the clerestory? (lower roof 15'6" + clerestory height 24" + upper roof thickness 18" = 19'0")

It doesn't matter how the roofs slope as long as the entire wall programmed for clerestory has enough space for clerestory regardless of where you actually place the clerestory line.

3) Is it okay that the upper roof is 35'6" in comparison to the lower roofs which are 12'6" and 15'6" ...

If that's what it needs to be; however, I strongly recommend staying away from sheds and hips and sticking with simple, symmetrical gables.

Cricket doesn't work. It sheds water directly off roof.
Never create a situation where flashing is required between planes within the upper or lower roofs.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby PeekaBoo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 am

Thank you, Coach.

I guess I don't understand the concept of a cricket....I have some follow-up questions.

I understand that a cricket is use to direct water around the chimney, so water does not pond. Therefore, I thought a cricket should be placed in the direction of the ridge....which I no longer think is the case (at all times) for this vignette.

In the solution shown, I placed a cricket in the direction of the ridge...but the water flows off of the roof and not into a gutter/downspout (which you pointed out..and makes sense). With that understanding....do I not need a cricket in this solution? If I do, where would that go?

Should I only place a cricket when the roof is sloping down in the direction of the chimney where there is a gutter/downspout?

I guess, I'm may not be understanding when it is and not required. Please see the image attached of my understanding and the potential scenarios.

Thank you,
Peek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeekaBoo

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

PeekaBoo wrote:I guess I don't understand the concept of a cricket....I have some follow-up questions.

I understand that a cricket is use to direct water around the chimney, so water does not pond. Therefore, I thought a cricket should be placed in the direction of the ridge....which I no longer think is the case (at all times) for this vignette.

You always need a cricket if roof slopes to chimney or wall, but from there, water must flow to a gutter.

In the solution shown, I placed a cricket in the direction of the ridge...but the water flows off of the roof and not into a gutter/downspout (which you pointed out..and makes sense). With that understanding....do I not need a cricket in this solution? If I do, where would that go?

The problem is that you need a different solution. As I said above, don't use sheds.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS