STAIR NCARB 4.0 - FIRST ATTEMPT please review

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

STAIR NCARB 4.0 - FIRST ATTEMPT please review

Postby boston1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:01 pm

First try at this one. Am I using cut stairs correctly? Also, am I showing the railings right at the cut stairs? I brought them one click past the cut line.

From the info screen it seems to say that you have to place your cut line in the stair run that coincides with the ground level cut line shown in the section (that make sense?). Did I do this correctly?

If I had but the cut on the middle run it would be wrong right?

Is it ok that the bottom right landing is so long?

Please review and comment. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boston1

Re: STAIR NCARB 4.0 - FIRST ATTEMPT please review

Postby Coach » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:58 pm

boston1 wrote:First try at this one. Am I using cut stairs correctly?

Yes.

Also, am I showing the railings right at the cut stairs? I brought them one click past the cut line.

Yes.

From the info screen it seems to say that you have to place your cut line in the stair run that coincides with the ground level cut line shown in the section (that make sense?).

No. Cut may be on any run above all door shown on lower level. Use cuts so that there is no graphic overlap.

If I had but the cut on the middle run it would be wrong right?

It would have been fine.

Is it ok that the bottom right landing is so long?

Why not?

Top landing is too small.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
What is overall stair width?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby boston1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks for the feedback Coach.

overall stair width is 48" clear between handrails per the area of refuge requirement.

I am guessing you mean the centerline of the rail should be 2" off wall and edges? or the inside edge of the rail?

I see now I can't overlap the area of refuge and the door clear floor area. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll put them side by side and give a little extra space per some other solutions I've seen on here.
boston1

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm

boston1 wrote:overall stair width is 48" clear between handrails per the area of refuge requirement.

"Overall" and "between handrails" are not the same thing. Overall width should be 56".

I am guessing you mean the centerline of the rail should be 2" off wall and edges? or the inside edge of the rail?

3" to centerline.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby boston1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 am

sorry that was worded weird.

My stair is too narrow then since I used 48" clear between handrails but NOT 3" from centerline of handrail to edge of stair. I only used 2" from centerline of rail to edge of stair. I'll do it your way from now on.

Thanks again!
boston1

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS