Stair / Ramp and Stair Alternate Vignettes - Test Next Week!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair / Ramp and Stair Alternate Vignettes - Test Next Week!

Postby mryan64 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:03 pm

I did the alternate 1 ramp / stair and alternate 3 stair vignette for practice. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I test next Wednesday so the sooner the better!

For the ramp one I had to do switchbacks because of how tight the space was. I did have two questions about stairs:

1. The stair vignette caused me to have to use two different riser heights for each run. I read an earlier post that this is ok but I was wondering is there a range I should keep within between the two runs? Code dictates 3/8" in any flight of stairs but mine were 6.82" and 6.29" which is over that range.

2. I used two landings to create a "L" shaped landing on the 2nd level. I assume there no issue with this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mryan64

Re: Stair / Ramp and Stair Alternate Vignettes - Test Next W

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm

mryan64 wrote:1. The stair vignette caused me to have to use two different riser heights for each run. I read an earlier post that this is ok but I was wondering is there a range I should keep within between the two runs?

Risers within allowable range are fine.

Code dictates 3/8" in any flight of stairs but mine were 6.82" and 6.29" which is over that range.

That's not in the vignette code.

2. I used two landings to create a "L" shaped landing on the 2nd level. I assume there no issue with this?

That's fine.

Ramp
12" and 22" landings require clear turning circles.
Lose the gap between stair and ramp.
Egress narrows at base of ramp.
What size door did you use?

Coach
Site Admin

Postby mryan64 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:57 pm

1. I see what you mean by the circles. I tested it and the 22" is fine but is right at 5' for a circle. The other one I'd need to grow so the rail doesn't push into it. Would I need to grow all landings to make them the same or just the one that needs extra clearance?

2. The egress is always 4'-4" minimum between rails. The bottom of the ramp is actually a tad bigger since it doesn't need the handrail as it's only a 2" high ramp.

3. I used a 32" door. I never thought about it until now but given the language of the vignette code would I assume the 44" path of egress applies to the door as well?
mryan64

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:07 pm

mryan64 wrote: "Would I need to grow all landings to make them the same

No.

2. The egress is always 4'-4" minimum between rails. The bottom of the ramp is actually a tad bigger since it doesn't need the handrail as it's only a 2" high ramp.

It's the overall ramp width that is the egress width. Distance from end of rail to south wall cannot be less than overall ramp width.

3. I used a 32" door.

Code requires 23" CLEAR. That requires a 36" door.

I never thought about it until now but given the language of the vignette code would I assume the 44" path of egress applies to the door as well?

No. Doors have their own requirements. Read code again.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby mryan64 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Attached is a sample end of ramp run showing the dimensions how I read your response. The width of the ramp itself will dictate the clear space after the rail extensions.

I also attached another sample ramp with switchbacks that show where I am measuring the 5' from. In the case of the ramp it is edge of ramp to edge of ramp. For the landings with rail it's end of ramp to rail to accommodate the turnaround. For the landings with no handrail on the back it's from end of ramp to edge of landing. Am I correct in my assumptions? Sorry if this seems like I'm beating a dead horse but just making sure I get it all.

Also I thought the 32 door was measured clear opening so 32 was 32" clear! That's how it measures in the plan. I'll use the 36" door as recommended. Thanks for all the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mryan64

Postby Coach » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Those drawings are correct.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS