Roof Vignette - test in a week

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof Vignette - test in a week

Postby architect80 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi all,

This is my first Roof Vignette attempt - please let me know anything I could do differently. I only have gutters on the low ends of the roofs - to the west, south and east on the high roof. One question is that currently my high roof dips below the ridge line of the south roof (which rides east to west at 12'-6"). That's a weird condition but I have it "flashed" and that would technically produce a more efficient design in terms of height (since the minimum at that edge is approx 9'-6") than bumping the whole thing up to clear the lower roof.

What does everyone think? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
architect80

Re: Roof Vignette - test in a week

Postby architect80 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 am

Anyone any thoughts - been a few days now - I would appreciate feedback before testing. Either way thanks
architect80

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am

Upper roof is not above the lower roof. Fatal.
Exhaust fan should not be aligned with the wall. Each toilet room should have its own fan. Not in the program for the lounge.
Sparky83

Postby architect80 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks Sparky83,

Ha - well fatal it is though it is not explicit that the lower roof and the upper roof can not cross. I'll not push it in the actual exam.

Seems there is guidance out there (Ballast) that disagrees with your evaluation of the Exhaust fan - it is only a minor issue so I'll go with the wisdom of ARE coach.

"Not in the program for the lounge." I'm afraid you lost me here - could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks again - looks like its well in hand.
architect80

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 pm

architect80 wrote:Ha - well fatal it is though it is not explicit that the lower roof and the upper roof can not cross.

"The building consists of two volumes, one high and one low."
That sounds pretty explicit to me.

Seems there is guidance out there (Ballast) that disagrees with your evaluation of the Exhaust fan

Don't use ballast for vignettes.

"Not in the program for the lounge." I'm afraid you lost me here - could you clarify what you mean?

The program does not call for exhaust in the lounge.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby architect80 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks Coach and Sparky,

I'm used to more explicit and specific code reference - but it's as I said - I'm not planning on testing my luck on the exam and I'll keep the volumes separate (elsewhere I've seen people unite the volumes at 9'6" at the lower level but I suppose that is against the reading of a high and low volume as well).

Ballast is out - no problem

The last point - so the range doesn't need an exhaust?

Thanks again!
architect80

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm

architect80 wrote:The last point - so the range doesn't need an exhaust?

No, it's not in the program.
Ever see a downdraft range?
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS