3.1 Stair Vignette + Door Clearance Question

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

3.1 Stair Vignette + Door Clearance Question

Postby 22design » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Question about door clearance:
door clearances.jpg

I believe I made a mistake on my first run of this vignette by only accounting for the 24" clearance on latch side of door, and not placing a sketch rectangle 60" x60" next to door when I got started. When I looked at the door clearance diagram it reminded me of something that has irritated me in the past. The depth is listed @ 60", but no overall width is given. Are we to assume that based on the 32" min door clearance + 24" min latch side clearance(which only equals 56") that the extra 4" is door thickness and frame?

Please see my edited 3.1 vignette below that has the 60" x 60" sketch rectangle for door clearance. Should the edge of rectangle be placed next to the door itself instead of wall?

stair 3.1 B1.jpg
stair 3.1 B2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
22design

Re: 3.1 Stair Vignette + Door Clearance Question

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm

22design wrote:I believe I made a mistake on my first run of this vignette by only accounting for the 24" clearance on latch side of door, and not placing a sketch rectangle 60" x60" next to door when I got started. When I looked at the door clearance diagram it reminded me of something that has irritated me in the past. The depth is listed @ 60", but no overall width is given. Are we to assume that based on the 32" min door clearance + 24" min latch side clearance(which only equals 56") that the extra 4" is door thickness and frame?

NO! The overall width is from hinge to side clearance specified. What more do you need to know?

Top door CFA is inadequate. CFA starts at hinge, not wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby 22design » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:11 pm

To simplify, I'm asking if the width of the CFA is 60"? The depth of the box is shown at 60", but no overall dimension is shown on the Figure.
22design

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

22design wrote:To simplify, I'm asking if the width of the CFA is 60"? The depth of the box is shown at 60", but no overall dimension is shown on the Figure.

I understood the first time. The width starts at the hinge and extends past the door the required amount. Who cares what the total width is?
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS