Ramp Vignette Solution and Question from NCARB solution

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp Vignette Solution and Question from NCARB solution

Postby SLOmustang713 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm

This is my ramp vignette solution for BDCS. I have taken this exam before and I failed the Ramp and Roof vignettes (ramp, I know I must have done incorrectly, and the Roof I didn't finish). So anything at all that could be incorrect please comment.
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 3.19.33 PM.png

My question regarding the NCARB solution:
In their the solution, the stair appears to be 5'-0" wide. But this appears to be incorrect? Several folks have solved their vignette showing a 5'-0" sketch circle. I am using ARE Advisors Vignette Guides and those say it needs to be a 5'-0" by 5'-0" square essentially (if your going with your 5'-0" wide for your stair). When using the code in real life (I know this is NCARB-land) but I can't reduce my egress width from any point, and I follow the 5'-0" square. Which is correct, the circle clearance or the actual clearance?
So have also shown a 90 degree bend in their railing. Is that a possible solution that won't fail?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SLOmustang713

Re: Ramp Vignette Solution and Question from NCARB solution

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

SLOmustang713 wrote:In their the solution, the stair appears to be 5'-0" wide. But this appears to be incorrect? Several folks have solved their vignette showing a 5'-0" sketch circle. I am using ARE Advisors Vignette Guides and those say it needs to be a 5'-0" by 5'-0" square essentially (if your going with your 5'-0" wide for your stair). When using the code in real life (I know this is NCARB-land) but I can't reduce my egress width from any point, and I follow the 5'-0" square. Which is correct, the circle clearance or the actual clearance?

Width cannot reduce in direction of egress. What you have shown (min allowable stair width) is the best approach. If you had used a 5' stair, the distance from the end of the west rail to the north wall would have to be no less than the overall stair width.

So have also shown a 90 degree bend in their railing. Is that a possible solution that won't fail?

That is a possible solution.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS