Roof, Stair, and Ramp Vignettes - Attempts #1

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof, Stair, and Ramp Vignettes - Attempts #1

Postby gibiwan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 am

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help me with:
- For the stair vignette I made all the stairs 56" wide to accommodate the 48" clear requirement for the Area of Refuge. Is that correct? Do the railings along the outside edge need to be 2" in from the edge of the stair?
- Can the handrails project into the clearance areas of the doors? See the handrail near the janitor door.
- I failed BDCS the first time because I had never practiced a cut stair. I am assuming they don't deduct points for using a cut stair when it isn't needed, correct? Also, do you try to get the handrail as close to the cut line? Can it overlap?
- Is there a preference to joining handrails? Cross? Overlap? Butt?
- For the ramp vignette, I am showing handrails wrap around corners to achieve the 12" beyond. Is that correct? Is it correct to assume that handrails cannot reduce the minimum corridor width?

I would love to get some feedback!
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gibiwan

Re: Roof, Stair, and Ramp Vignettes - Attempts #1

Postby Coach » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:11 pm

gibiwan wrote:- For the stair vignette I made all the stairs 56" wide to accommodate the 48" clear requirement for the Area of Refuge. Is that correct?

Yes.

Do the railings along the outside edge need to be 2" in from the edge of the stair?

Yes. Draw all rails the same way.

- Can the handrails project into the clearance areas of the doors? See the handrail near the janitor door.

Rail on door wall may encroach.

- I failed BDCS the first time because I had never practiced a cut stair. I am assuming they don't deduct points for using a cut stair when it isn't needed, correct?

Obviously. I recommend always using cut stair.

Also, do you try to get the handrail as close to the cut line? Can it overlap?

At or past a snap.

- Is there a preference to joining handrails? Cross? Overlap? Butt?

The easiest way is to connect them at insertion points, which is at centerline. Other methods are fine but don't cross into path of travel.

- For the ramp vignette, I am showing handrails wrap around corners to achieve the 12" beyond. Is that correct?

Yes.

Is it correct to assume that handrails cannot reduce the minimum corridor width?

Rail on wall is fine.

Stair looks good.

Ramp
Egress narrows at base of stair. No need to make stair 5' wide.

Roof
No reason not to use min slopes.
Upper roof higher than necessary.
It's best for gutters to match edges of roof and have their own downspouts rather than crossing at hip corner.
I recommend sticking with simple gables.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Roof, Stair, and Ramp Vignettes - Attempts #1

Postby gibiwan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:50 am

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
gibiwan

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS