Just tested 9/17/17 - Update Passed

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Just tested 9/17/17 - Update Passed

Postby jackstatic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:57 am

Hey guys, just tested today (9/17/17). And want to put here my means and methods of studying.

First Id like to thank coach for all his help on these forums with the vignettes. They were absolutey straight forward and easily done. doesnt mean I passwd them obviously, but I feel absolutely confident in my drawings. Ended that with 30 minutes too (after 15 mins of reviewing) so that's that.

The MC portion was... not what I expected? There was alot more arch history than Ive seen on any oher test. And a ton of ada questions. I almost ran out of time and didnt get to review any marked questions (only incomplete questions) I took more time than normal this time around per question I guess. got a little paniced at the end. So we will see. Im 50/50 on this.

Side story. between 2009 and 2011 my former architectural employer had laid off a lot of people. I had begun working there in 2005 out of college. I was laid off in 2011 and at the same time the company went to an 4 day work week. Long story short after like 6 months of applying for jobs and interviewing (and finding out former coworkers who werent laid off were getting jobs at the firms i was applying/interviewing too) I broadened my job search to general drafting (as i needed to pay bills) and landed at an engineering firm. Were Ive been since. Trying to finally get my license to basically get back to architecture. With that said.. there was a lot of general info stuff I knew like the back of my hand that over the years Ive obviously forgotten due to not using the knowledge day in day out. Or taking said info for granted when I was studying and not retain the knowledge as I was reading it...

So where am I getting with this? Well alot of my concerns on how well I did was the shear amount of general knowledge questions I used to know and have grown foggy and unsure of...

but I digress

So my study materials were
Kaplan
Ballast
Kaplan Q&A
Ballast Q&A
Jennys notes
some various other downloaded info guides
Refresh PPP, CDS, SPD notes
Kaplan Flash Cards
Dorf
ARE 4.0 questions
Desgner Hacks

Thinks I wish I reread
ADA codes
Some sort of Architectural History Book

I could count on 1 hand the amount of graphical type questons I received on this test.

Anyway If i failed im probably gonna switch over to 5.0... I still have bdcs, ss, and sd left and while I have 0 concerns over SD I already failed SS once and I just dont think i can manage to fit the 3 tests in by next June... maybe but idk...
Last edited by jackstatic on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackstatic

Re: Just tested 9/17/17

Postby jackstatic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 am

Oh! 1 last thought, IDK if this will cause a fail, but I had 26 stairs on my stair vignette
5 for the first flight - 6.4" risers
11 for the second flight - 6.36" risers
10 for the final - 6.4" risers.
I could not... for the life of me... get risers that were all 100% the same height because the first landing and second landing just were not multiples of each other working within the 4-7" realm.... I hope that doesn't cause a fail, but I went in to the vignette with exactly 2hrs (Roof and Ramp took me 45 minutes total) and I easily spent 25 minutes trying to work the damn numbers for the risers.
jackstatic

Re: Just tested 9/17/17

Postby Coach » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 pm

jackstatic wrote:I could not... for the life of me... get risers that were all 100% the same height

They don't have to be. A run is landing to landing.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Just tested 9/17/17 - Updated - Passed

Postby jackstatic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:56 am

Just saw that I passed this test. Again thanks to everyone especially Coach for help with the Vignettes and any other questions I had. This website is absolutely invaluable.

Now to tackle SD And retake SS.
so SD, I have had no problems with any of the vignettes after using this website and the various resource material out there so In gonna schedule SD relatively soon before the holiday season kicks in as I dont expect it to take long to study for.
SS.... what can I say? I took and failed once cause I focused to heavily on the mathematics, ive already got all the resource material availabl and if i take the first one in January Ill have 6 months to take 3 versions of the test before Im forced to transition. Do or Die on that but at least Ill be able to give myself the full devotion to it. and also hopefully I dont need more than 1 retake now that I know what to expect.
jackstatic

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS