Ramp Vignette Question - Test Tomorrow!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp Vignette Question - Test Tomorrow!

Postby tsmithth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 am

I restricted myself to just the space above the bottom-most ramp in this attempt to see if i could do it. I think everything checks out, but i would love commentary to make sure! (the clearance at the double door is drawn 60" deep instead of the required 48" deep on accident, so ignore the fact that the handrail extension at the bottom of the ramp appears to invade the required clearance).

My question is this:

Handrails are allowed to protrude into the required stair width, but the code does no explicitly state that guardrails can extend into the required stair width. Would this then mean that on open sides (where a guardrail is required) that the ramp width should be determined from the edge of the guardrail to the edge of the other side of the ramp? I hope this is clear. I may be reading too much into it, but just thought of it as I was running back through the vignettes.

Any help is much appreciated!!
tsmithth

Re: Ramp Vignette Question - Test Tomorrow!

Postby Coach » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

tsmithth wrote:Handrails are allowed to protrude into the required stair width, but the code does no explicitly state that guardrails can extend into the required stair width. Would this then mean that on open sides (where a guardrail is required) that the ramp width should be determined from the edge of the guardrail to the edge of the other side of the ramp? I hope this is clear. I may be reading too much into it, but just thought of it as I was running back through the vignettes.

Handrails and guardrails are treated the same wat.

East stair rail must wrap corner.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS