Stair Vignette - Ground Floor Headroom Under Landing

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette - Ground Floor Headroom Under Landing

Postby SDTK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 am

Hi all,
Potential scenario on stair vignette...

If I need to propose a stair landing to be located directly above the exit door on ground floor (or anywhere above the egress path), what is the minimum clearance required? I know we need 80 inches headroom in the stairs, but what about when you are at ground floor, and you need to walk under a stair landing to the exit door? This is not specified in the vignette code, but my research suggest that an egress path needs 7'-6" clear headroom... So assuming the stair landing is 12" thick, I should be able to locate the landing at 8'-6" or higher, correct?

The section on the practice vignette shows the height of the ext door as 8'-0", so would a 9'-0 intermediate landing height suffice in this case?

Also, has anyone ever seen the exit door have a head height lower than 8'-0"?

I know it is safer to go higher, no need to remind me... I am specifically asking what is the absolute minimum clearance assuming the door is lower than 8'-0"? And if you locate a landing below the minimum clearance, is this a fatal error?

Finally, does failing the stair vignette automatically mean failing the whole test?

Thank you.
SDTK

Re: Stair Vignette - Ground Floor Headroom Under Landing

Postby ccolley12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am

The program will tell you how thick the structure is, so you would need to take into account the height of the door plus the structural depth of the landing to know if 9'0" (in the case you describe) is enough room or not.

Yes, failing the stair vignette, or any vignette, will result in a fail for the entire exam.
ccolley12

Re: Stair Vignette - Ground Floor Headroom Under Landing

Postby Coach » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm

SDTK wrote:but what about when you are at ground floor, and you need to walk under a stair landing to the exit door? This is not specified in the vignette code, but my research suggest that an egress path needs 7'-6" clear headroom... So assuming the stair landing is 12" thick, I should be able to locate the landing at 8'-6" or higher, correct?

Use whatever the vignette code says. If it's 80", then use 80+structure as min.

The section on the practice vignette shows the height of the ext door as 8'-0", so would a 9'-0 intermediate landing height suffice in this case?

I recommend adding 2" for door frame and providing that (door+structure+2) for the entire door swing area, then you can go down to the code min +structure.

Also, has anyone ever seen the exit door have a head height lower than 8'-0"?

It's possible. It can also be higher.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS