All 3 - 3.1 Vignettes & Questions

Postby RFalcone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 am

Ramp Vignette:
5'' wide at 24" landing
5' wide ramp through out
5'-4" x 10' at 12" landing
5' x 10' at 5" landing
Stair: 4'-8" wide, with 4r at 6" high

At the 12" landing, I increased the width to 5'-4" to allow for a clear 5'-0" turning circle that is free of any handrails. Correct?
It is not shown on the vignette, but can a stair handrail (not against the wall) extend into the required landing (direction of travel dimension)? see stair vignette below

ramp-ncarb 3.1.jpg

Stair Vignette
Can the landing clearance at the bottom stair landing overlap the door clearance?
Can the landing requirement at bottom of stair include the west handrail extension or as I have shown? (similar to question above)
At the top landing, can the handrails extend into the required door clearance? or only handrails that are on the wall as the door?
Should the wall rails be continuous at landings or use the 12" extensions, does it matter?

stair-level 1-ncarb 3.1prog4.jpg

stair-level 2-ncarb 3.1prog4.jpg

Roof Vignette:
At downspouts, is there a minimum number of clicks from the edge of the gutter, I am using 3?
At the upper roof, should there be just one gutter across the length with two downspouts, or should there be two gutters - one over the roof and one over the ground, each with downspouts?
The ncarb passing solution shows 2 skylights in the break room, are 2 required or just 1?
The height difference at the intersection of the low/high roof is 4' (30"clerestory + 18" structure)

roof-ncarb 3.1.jpg

THANK YOU!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RFalcone

Re: All 3 - 3.1 Vignettes & Questions

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 am

RFalcone wrote:Ramp Vignette:
At the 12" landing, I increased the width to 5'-4" to allow for a clear 5'-0" turning circle that is free of any handrails. Correct?

Correct.

Stair Vignette
Can the landing clearance at the bottom stair landing overlap the door clearance?

Yes, but west rail cannot.

Can the landing requirement at bottom of stair include the west handrail extension or as I have shown? (similar to question above)

Yes.

At the top landing, can the handrails extend into the required door clearance? or only handrails that are on the wall as the door?

Only rails on door wall.

Should the wall rails be continuous at landings

No. Stop at extension.

Roof Vignette:
At downspouts, is there a minimum number of clicks from the edge of the gutter, I am using 3?

No.

At the upper roof, should there be just one gutter across the length with two downspouts, or should there be two gutters - one over the roof and one over the ground, each with downspouts?

One roof plane = one gutter. Why would you split it?

The ncarb passing solution shows 2 skylights in the break room, are 2 required or just 1?

Just one.

Ramp
Widen stair and lose the gap.

Stair
Seriously overbuilt. No need to keep against wall.

Roof
Lowe ridge doesn't meet.
HVAC in front of window.
Why 2 HVAC units?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

Hang on, you said in image one you increased the landing width from 50"- 54" to accomodate handrails but wouldn't you need to increase landing width to 58"? Although small, there is an area that has a handrail on both sides and at this point your clearance would be reduced to 46."
matt

Postby Coach » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm

matt wrote:Hang on, you said in image one you increased the landing width from 50"- 54" to accomodate handrails but wouldn't you need to increase landing width to 58"? Although small, there is an area that has a handrail on both sides and at this point your clearance would be reduced to 46."

First of all, it's 5'-4", not 54".
The increased size is to accommodate the turning circle.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matt » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Oops, i forgot to add the foot symbol. However, isnt the 5' turning radius a clearance? If so, then wouldnt the overall need to be 5'8" to accomodate for the handrail encroachment?
matt

Postby Coach » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:46 pm

matt wrote:Oops, i forgot to add the foot symbol. However, isnt the 5' turning radius a clearance? If so, then wouldnt the overall need to be 5'8" to accomodate for the handrail encroachment?

It's a circle, not a square. If it fits, it's good.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Nevermind. I just read in Ballast that the handrail can encroach on the 5'-0" turning radius if it is attached to a wall.

Thanks, Coach
matt

Postby Coach » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm

matt wrote:Nevermind. I just read in Ballast that the handrail can encroach on the 5'-0" turning radius if it is attached to a wall.

I disagree.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

Do we need 60" clear width for the entire landing or just the landing area indicated with the dashed circle?

Sorry to nit pick, just trying to get it straight in my thick head
matt

Postby Coach » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 pm

A clear circle anywhere on landing.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby AJD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 am

In the ramp vignette, since double doors have been given (to the south) and are being used as an exit, would that not indicate that a double door should have been inserted here, rather than the single door shown? I am having a difficuly understanding exactly when double doors are required.
AJD

Postby Coach » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm

AJD wrote:In the ramp vignette, since double doors have been given (to the south) and are being used as an exit, would that not indicate that a double door should have been inserted here, rather than the single door shown?

No. The existing double doors are downstream from areas exiting.

I am having a difficuly understanding exactly when double doors are required.

Probably never since there's no mention of occupant load in the program or code. That said, if you feel more comfortable with a pair of new doors, and you have room for them, it won't hurt you to provide them unless doing so creates problems.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby AJD » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 am

Thank you, Coach!
AJD

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS