2nd Fail on BDCS

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

2nd Fail on BDCS

Postby lucylucy424 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 am

Is there a support group I can join? Just found out I failed my retake of BDCS. The first time I took it, I got a Level 3 in Codes and Mat & Technology. This last fail, I got a Level 3 in Environmental Issues & a Level 2 in Principles. Can't they just combine these two tests and call it a pass! Ugh. The questions on this last exam were so out of left field, I don't even know where to begin. I am usually very strong in Environmental Issues, so this is a big blow to me. Any support or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The first time around I used the Amber Videos. I then went ahead and took SS, and passed between these which I feel helped me get better in the Materials category. Other references I used were Jenny's Notes, Ballast, Kaplan Q&A, Ballast Q&A, NALSA Flashcards, I've read the entire Fundamentals of Building Construction & listened to the lectures on this book. I only have BS left besides this THIRD BDCS retake.
lucylucy424

Re: 2nd Fail on BDCS

Postby gbalaka » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:23 am

lucylucy424,

hmm....i'm not sure if "support group" is the right word. Have you joined your local AIA chapter as an associate member? The one that i'm in offers weekly classes on the exams and we discuss main concepts, etc.

Actually, let me take a step back (not trying to make a sales pitch here). Are you surrounded by people who are also taking these exams that you can talk to and share study material, knowledge, etc. I'm just curious if you're doing this on your own or you know other people who are going through the same thing.

I totally understand your frustration as these exams never seem to cover what we actually study......

For me personally, taking the exam is the best way to prepare for the exam as I always look up what I can remember after taking each exam to prepare me for a retake (all the "left field" questions i can remember). I would also recommend the practice exams through designerhacks. They're $30 per exam...something like that.
gbalaka

Postby lucylucy424 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am

I've been known to be a hermit, so I am taking your advice and branching out.

I will look into DesignerHacks...I feel like a new resource will make me more motivated for the third shot.

Thank you, gbalaka.
lucylucy424

Postby VTBassdrum13 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 pm

lucylucy424 wrote:I only have BS left besides this THIRD BDCS retake.

I think taking BS would really help with BDCS as well. I passed SS then failed BDCS then passed BS and then passed my second attempt at BDCS. I found a lot of overlap in questions between BDCS & BS. I used AMBER for BS and the second attempt of BDCS which was definitely crucial, especially for the BS exam. Like the above comment says, taking the exam seems to be the best way to prepare for the exam, so the second time taking BDCS with BS & AMBER seminars under by belt, I felt a much better understanding going through those questions.

This forum is obviously one of the best mediums for support. You are not in this alone. I am two years & ten testing sessions in and finally down to my last two exams (SPD & PPP) which I failed super early on in my testing, before I realized how seriously I needed to take all of this. Stick with it. It'll be over soon enough!
VTBassdrum13

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS