4.0 Ramp 2nd Try

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

4.0 Ramp 2nd Try

Postby samialj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 am

Similar to my first attempt but slightly different. I am trying to get faster at this. Took me 45 minutes. Trying to get it down to 30 mins.

Comments appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samialj

Re: 4.0 Ramp 2nd Try

Postby markablumberg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Looks good. One thing I noticed is that the stair is overbuilt (too wide). Because of this, the space to the south of the stair is not accessible, ie, a 5' diameter turning space does not fit. Perhaps err on the side of caution and keep the stair at its minimum required width and allow that CFA to the south of it?
markablumberg

Postby samialj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I will have to respectively disagree with you on this one. There is no requirement in the code that states all areas need to have a 5' turning radius. The ramp is the exit route and the 5' turning radius only applies to it.

I built the stair the same width as the corridor because the code states under the stairway width section "stairways shall not reduce in width in the direction of travel". I know this isn't the most efficient stair design but because the stair is adjacent to the exit corridor I kept it the same width.
samialj

Postby markablumberg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm

I see your point regarding the turning radius. What is confusing, however, is that if you look at NCARB passing solution, the stair is 5' wide, while the corridor is 6' wide.

The code says stairways shall not reduce in width in the direction of egress. It does not say egress path shall not reduce in width.

Also, by your logic, wouldn't the ramp need to be same width as the corridor as it is the accessible means of egress and the code dictates that ramps cannot decrease in width?

Perhaps some thoughts from Coach?
markablumberg

Postby markablumberg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Also, the door is only 36" wide. A 44" stair with handrails on both sides is a 36" wide path of egress. I think your stair is overbuilt.
markablumberg

Postby samialj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:52 pm

All good points! Would be great to get some incite from another user.

I think you and I are the only ones on this forum today.\ :D
samialj

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS