Stair Vignette Landing Question

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette Landing Question

Postby markablumberg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:03 am

Hello,

Is the landing in the image below a passable solution? Points to consider:

Total depth from wall to edge of landing = 5'-4"
Total depth from wall to inside edge of east/west oriented railing (left side of stair) = 5'-0"
CFA for door starts at hinge of door/inside edge of railing (right side of stair).
Dimension from latch edge of door to landing edge is 28".

I ask because the NCARB passing solution shows the landing about a foot deeper than I show here. I think it is because of the code direction that the door swing shall not reduce the landing to less than half the required width. Or it is because the right side handrail should not encroach on the CFA for the door.

The way I read the code, the solution below is passable. Thoughts?

Follow up question: What is the required depth of the landing? Code indicates the 48" clear width between handrails for stairs with AOR (resulting in a 56" wide stair). However, it also indicates that a straight landing (no change in direction) shall have a minimum width of 44", while landings with a change in direction shall not be less than the minimum stair width.

markablumberg

Re: Stair Vignette Landing Question

Postby Coach » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm

markablumberg wrote:Is the landing in the image below a passable solution?

Yes.

I ask because the NCARB passing solution shows the landing about a foot deeper than I show here.

That's just how much space remained after placing the run.

Follow up question: What is the required depth of the landing? Code indicates the 48" clear width between handrails for stairs with AOR (resulting in a 56" wide stair). However, it also indicates that a straight landing (no change in direction) shall have a minimum width of 44", while landings with a change in direction shall not be less than the minimum stair width.

Those code items and door CFA all apply where relevant.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS