NCARB 4.0_Ramp vignette for review

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

NCARB 4.0_Ramp vignette for review

Postby markablumberg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello,

Please take a look at the images below for a quick review. Any comments are helpful! Thank you!

markablumberg

Re: NCARB 4.0_Ramp vignette for review

Postby samialj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 am

-There is no requirement to place a wall and door at the west exit. The program states: Place wall(s) and door(s) only on the existing upper level to separate the lobby and the upper level exit corridor
-The handrail at the base of the stair shouldn't protrude into your clear space (I had drawn the handrail the same way on my first attempt and coach commented on it. He said "egress narrows at the base of the stair". It looks like you have the same situation)
-There is no requirement for the handrail on the east side of the ramp on the wall from your elevation change from 30" to 26". The code states: Handrails are not required on ramps where the vertical rise between landings is 6 inches or less.
samialj

Postby markablumberg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks.

I understand that the handrail shouldnt protrude into the CFA at the base of the stair...but the egress width does not decrease. It actually increases from 36" btwn handrails (44" stair) to nearly 5'. And i think the turning radius would fit in that space as well.

Perhaps Coach can weigh in?
markablumberg

Postby Coach » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:00 pm

markablumberg wrote:Thanks.

I understand that the handrail shouldnt protrude into the CFA at the base of the stair...but the egress width does not decrease. It actually increases from 36" btwn handrails (44" stair) to nearly 5'. And i think the turning radius would fit in that space as well.

Perhaps Coach can weigh in?

If the distance from the end of the west rail to the wall is no less than the overall stair width, it's fine.
Neither a 5x5 landing nor a turning radius is required there.

West wall/door not in program.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS