Fail

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Fail

Postby ataribeats » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Got results today and I fail :'(
Didn't pass the roof vignette for some reason and I know I was very down after leaving the test center because the MC part was very difficult and I got level 3 on materials and technology.
I studied for over 2 months, 3 hours a day after work and about 12 hours every weekend. I felt like I studied well, but the questions were ridiculous and a few that I have never heard about :cry:
I knew when leaving that it didn't go well, but I was hoping I could still pass.

Now, I'm worried about the timing since I still have to do SS and BS + BDCS again.

I'm thinking about buying the amber book videos. Any thoughts?
ataribeats

Re: Fail

Postby VTBassdrum13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 pm

ataribeats wrote:I'm thinking about buying the amber book videos. Any thoughts?

Definitely recommend Amber & MEEB for BS. Amber is pretty good for BDCS but not much more than what the Grant Adams seminars offer. Definitely recommend Thaddeus for SS. I would definitely take Ermann's advice and only do the Amber seminars a couple weeks before the exam. I used to allow for 2 months for each exam and felt that I was spreading the material too far apart that by the time test day arrived, the topics studied early on were completely out of my memory.

Getting the fail result is really tough. I've been there; five times unfortunately. All I can say is that you will not be satisfied until you are done, so keep at it! It will pay off in the end!
VTBassdrum13

Postby sedaigle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:18 am

I feel your pain. I failed this exam last month for the roof vignette as well and got a 2 on "Environmental Issues" which only accounts for 6%-9% of the exam. I felt really good about it when I left. I had plenty of time to review the vignettes. I have no idea what this "major deficiency" was on the roof vignette. I was originally scheduled to take it again on this coming Wednesday but rescheduled after I received a "fail" on my 2nd attempt this year on Structures for similar reasons. I passed that vignette but received a 3 in Wind (18%-22% of test which was previously a 2) and a 2 in lateral loads (7%-9%; which was a 1 previously). I will now lose CD's which I passed years ago. It is very frustrating and I have one more chance this year to pass Structures or I have to wait until April of next year to try again and will lose yet another already passed test.
I do highly recommend Thaddeus for structures if you haven't watched the videos. I did the "at your pace" ones and wish I would have reviewed those again prior to this retake. I passed BS a month ago and I used the Amber videos and skimmed Ballast. I don't know where you are in your career but if you have a decent amount of experience the Amber videos really might be enough. I did find that all 3 of these tests shared some questions so it would be good, IMO, to study them and take the tests in quick succession. Hope this helps. Good luck going forward!
sedaigle

Postby ataribeats » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks guys,
All the info and sharing similar experiences helps to keep going. I'll be taking BDCS again in September and I'm already going through everything again and looking a way more into Vapor and Air barriers, since I got a few of very difficult questions related to it.

Any study material on vapor/air barriers that I should check?

Thanks again :)
ataribeats

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS