Stair Vignette - Stair Width Calculations

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette - Stair Width Calculations

Postby PA Boy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Coach,
I have two specific questions in regards to the stair vignette which I was hoping you could help me with.

1. In the real world, stair widths would be calculated by the number of expected occupants to use a particular stair. However the wording in the code section of the ARE seems to contradict that. Below is a copy of the code for reference.

Capacity of Exit Components: Ooccupant load:
"the occupant load of each exit shall be determined by dividing the total occupant load for an individual floor by the number of exits serving that floor. Where stairways serve more than one level, the capacity of the exit components shall be based on the individual floor with the largest occupant load, provided that the exit capacity shall not be decreased in the direction of means of egress travel".

With that being said, what if the first floor had the highest occupancy? The wording makes me question if I should use the highest occupancy for the program, or the highest occupancy using that stair. Are you able to expand?

2. I have been told, that you should never widen a set of stairs in the direction of travel. And that the entire stair width should be based on the total number of Com knee occupants. Given the situation where the intermediate floor would increase the occupancy load enough to effect the width, should the stairs be widened from that point down or should that larger width be maintained over the entire run?

Thanks for all the information you provide us!
PA Boy
PA Boy

Re: Stair Vignette - Stair Width Calculations

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:23 pm

PA Boy wrote:what if the first floor had the highest occupancy?

The first floor doesn't use the stair to exit.

2. I have been told, that you should never widen a set of stairs in the direction of travel.

Who told you that?

And that the entire stair width should be based on the total number of Com knee occupants. Given the situation where the intermediate floor would increase the occupancy load enough to effect the width, should the stairs be widened from that point down or should that larger width be maintained over the entire run?

If due to the wording of the ncarb code you feel more comfortable making the stair above the larger floor satisfy the larger floor, then do so.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS