roof - please review!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

roof - please review!

Postby fillmore » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Please review my solution attached. I followed the NCARB example on this one.

- Why is flashing not needed on the lower roof where walls hit the roof?

- Finally figured out why NCARB has their upper left roof coming down to 19'. If you start building up from the right side it makes more sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isrfwl9M7mw

It appears that the left side has to be higher because the upper roof in this example is a-symmetrical. If you start setting elevations from the right side of the upper roof, since you don't have the same restrictions here around clerestory windows, the right upper and right lower roof can meet along the same line. So, if your right side upper roof also slopes down to the minimum of 9-6, if you set the slope to 6:12, you'll find that the ridge is now at 25'. When you match the left portion of the upper roof to the ridge, and set the slope to 6:12, as you 'set roof' and click to find out where the left-most elevation ends up, you'll see it's at 18-6". That said, why does NCARB round up to 19'? Just for fun?..

- If following the logic of both upper and lower roofs are aligned on the right side of the plan, A) Is this allowed? and B) can you use the same gutter and connect them both? And in this case, can you just use 2 downspouts or do you need 3? Or is it better to keep them separate?

NCARB Rules around Flashing: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/fil ... _Guide.pdf
"Flashing must be provided at all roof/wall surface intersections, including chimneys. HVAC condensing units, plumbing vent stacks, exhaust fan vents, skylights, and gutters are self-flashing and require no additional flashing or crickets"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fillmore

Re: roof - please review!

Postby fillmore » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Please note - there is a ghost orange line traveling across my solution that somehow appeared as i was reducing size the post. please ignore.
fillmore

Postby VTBassdrum13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 pm

fillmore wrote:Please review my solution attached. I followed the NCARB example on this one.

- Why is flashing not needed on the lower roof where walls hit the roof? Roof sits on top of walls vs a wall intersecting a roof plane

- Finally figured out why NCARB has their upper left roof coming down to 19'. If you start building up from the right side it makes more sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isrfwl9M7mw

It appears that the left side has to be higher because the upper roof in this example is a-symmetrical. If you start setting elevations from the right side of the upper roof, since you don't have the same restrictions here around clerestory windows, the right upper and right lower roof can meet along the same line. So, if your right side upper roof also slopes down to the minimum of 9-6, if you set the slope to 6:12, you'll find that the ridge is now at 25'. When you match the left portion of the upper roof to the ridge, and set the slope to 6:12, as you 'set roof' and click to find out where the left-most elevation ends up, you'll see it's at 18-6". That said, why does NCARB round up to 19'? Just for fun?.. This method is not recommended. As you can see by your explanation, it is over complicating the vignette. Keep it symmetrical = Keep it simple

- If following the logic of both upper and lower roofs are aligned on the right side of the plan, A) Is this allowed? and B) can you use the same gutter and connect them both? And in this case, can you just use 2 downspouts or do you need 3? Or is it better to keep them separate? General Program states that there are two volumes consisting of an upper and lower roof. Aligning at the right side blurs this distinction and causes complications. No need to waste time trying to calculate and align. Just make upper roof fully above lower. That's all that the computer grading system will be able to notice. Simple yes or no algorithm of whether it is completely above or not.

NCARB Rules around Flashing: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/fil ... _Guide.pdf
"Flashing must be provided at all roof/wall surface intersections, including chimneys. HVAC condensing units, plumbing vent stacks, exhaust fan vents, skylights, and gutters are self-flashing and require no additional flashing or crickets"

- Can't tell if you have flashing on the west side of the chimney or not. If not, you need it because it is a wall intersecting a roof plane, even though there's a cricket
- Not sure if this is an issue but I would avoid a skylight intersecting a ridge if possible. Probably doesn't matter but simple enough to avoid
VTBassdrum13

Postby fillmore » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 pm

ah, makes sense! Thank you VTB!!
fillmore

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS