BDCS - NCARB Ramp, Stair, Roof Vignettes (Comment Please!)

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

BDCS - NCARB Ramp, Stair, Roof Vignettes (Comment Please!)

Postby marge » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:10 pm

I took BDCS two months ago and didn't pass the ramp and the roof vignettes. I don't know what I did wrong, but I figured I would get feedback on these. Any comments are greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marge

Re: BDCS - NCARB Ramp, Stair, Roof Vignettes (Comment Please

Postby Coach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Roof
Incorrect flashing. Flash where vertical surface is above roof plane.
Upper roof is higher than necessary.
Verify upper and lower east gutters are drawn independently.

Stair
Rails encroach southwest corner of CFA at top landing.

Ramp
Egress narrows at base of stair.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby marge » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks for the response!

Roof
Incorrect flashing. Flash where vertical surface is above roof plane. - That makes sense looking at the NCARB solution now, but the directions say "Flashing must be provided at all roof/wall surface intersections, including chimneys". So how why doesn't that also include when the vertical surface is below the roof plane?

Upper roof is higher than necessary. - Is there a maximum height limit that I should try and stay within? I used the minimum slopes and the minimum height at the clerestory

Verify upper and lower east gutters are drawn independently. - Gutters are drawn independently

Stair
Rails encroach southwest corner of CFA at top landing. - Got it!

Ramp
Egress narrows at base of stair. - I thought this was an issue, but I thought that the NCARB solution shows it this way on their solution.

Thanks again for the feedback!
marge

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm

marge wrote:Roof
Incorrect flashing. Flash where vertical surface is above roof plane. - That makes sense looking at the NCARB solution now, but the directions say "Flashing must be provided at all roof/wall surface intersections, including chimneys". So how why doesn't that also include when the vertical surface is below the roof plane?

Because you're showing roof flashing.

Upper roof is higher than necessary. - Is there a maximum height limit that I should try and stay within? I used the minimum slopes and the minimum height at the clerestory

You didn't use the minimum height. You based upper roof height on a low roof elevation that doesn't impact the clerestory location.

Ramp
Egress narrows at base of stair. - I thought this was an issue, but I thought that the NCARB solution shows it this way on their solution.

They do, and their solution is wrong too.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS