Stair 4.0 for Review

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair 4.0 for Review

Postby brownc13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Stair Vignette 4.0 for review.

A few questions:

1. Can the "area of refuge" encroach into the door clearance on the second floor landing. Ex. 24 inches door clearance + 30" AOR + 4" Handrail = 4'-10" or 58" from door jamp to outside of landing? Is this math correct?

As of right now I overlap them by 1'-0". Total 3'-10" door jamb to outside of landing

2. Area of Refuge is measured from inside of west handrail over 30"? Is this correct?

3. I have left 48" clr. between handrail all the way down stairs (48+4 handrail +4 handrail total of 4'-8"... Is it correct to say I can't reduce this width anymore because this is the dimension required by AOR?

4. Can 12" handrail extension on second floor landing encroach into the door clearance? Or should landing be larger to allow 60" door clearance +12" handrail extension making the landing 72" or 6'-0" deep. Does it not need the 12" Extension and can just return to wall.

I know its a lot. Hope this all make sense. I will look at other solutions as well I'm sure the answers are posted on here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brownc13

Re: Stair 4.0 for Review

Postby Coach » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 pm

brownc13 wrote:1. Can the "area of refuge" encroach into the door clearance on the second floor landing.

No.

2. Area of Refuge is measured from inside of west handrail over 30"? Is this correct?

It must be clear.

3. I have left 48" clr. between handrail all the way down stairs (48+4 handrail +4 handrail total of 4'-8"... Is it correct to say I can't reduce this width anymore because this is the dimension required by AOR?

Correct. You must never reduce stair width in direction of egress travel.

4. Can 12" handrail extension on second floor landing encroach into the door clearance? Or should landing be larger to allow 60" door clearance +12" handrail extension making the landing 72" or 6'-0" deep.

Only rails on door wall may encroach. The east rail at top landing does not encroach.

Does it not need the 12" Extension and can just return to wall.

Huh?
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Stair 4.0 for Review

Postby brownc13 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 am

Thank you Coach for your review. The last question was asking if the east rail at the top landing needs to return to the wall but you answered this in #4 saying that it doesn't encroach into the door clearance.

Thanks again!
brownc13

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS