BDCS Retake on Tuesday_ Ramp 4.0 Vignette

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

BDCS Retake on Tuesday_ Ramp 4.0 Vignette

Postby carpar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 am

Feedback would be much appreciated!

My layout is the same as the NCARB solution but I practiced another version where the ramp is U-shaped and wraps around the wall.
Why does the NCARB solution (as I also show) has the ramp segments width at 60" throughout? Why is it not reduced to 44", as shown in other solutions?

Also, is there a minimum clearance between the end of the handrail extension at the bottom of the stair and the wall?

Also, what are some major mistakes to fail this vignette? It was the only vignette I failed last time.

Thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carpar

Re: BDCS Retake on Tuesday_ Ramp 4.0 Vignette

Postby scmc872 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Why does the NCARB solution (as I also show) has the ramp segments width at 60" throughout? Why is it not reduced to 44", as shown in other solutions?

I think this is because your landings need to be 60" x 60" anyways. With this configuration you'd end up with dead space between the ramps. You could possibly make the lowest 2 runs 44".

"The least dimension in the direction of travel shall be 60 inches. If ramps change direction at landings, the least dimension shall be 60 inches." - NCARB program.

Also, is there a minimum clearance between the end of the handrail extension at the bottom of the stair and the wall?

This confuses me also. Presumably it needs to be 44", but it makes a mention of handrail projections. I assume that the handrail projection doesn't apply when it is an extension protruding perpendicularly into the clearance. On the other hand you might be able to get away with a 4" encroachment; reducing your minimum clearance to 40"? I'd stick with 44" to be safe.

"Maneuvering Clearances
1. The minimum width of an exit route shall not be less than 44 inches.
Projections into a required exit route width are prohibited, except for handrail projections
"

Also, I believe you need to provide a rail on the open side of the smallest ramp. Even though it is only 3" rise (so a handrail isn't necessary) it is an "open side" so you need a guardrail. Since handrails and guardrails are the same in this vignette, you need the handrail.

"Open sides of landings, floor surfaces, ramps, and stairways shall be protected by a continuous guardrail." - NCARB program

The only time you wouldn't need a handrail is if your ramp was up against a wall or a higher ramp (with a guardrail) and was less than 6" rise. (So probably you are right in not needing one on the opposite side of the 3" ramp). My philosophy on this, though, is that if it doesn't encroach on other requirements, you may as well show a handrail.
scmc872

Postby carpar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 am

scmc872 wrote:

I think this is because your landings need to be 60" x 60" anyways. With this configuration you'd end up with dead space between the ramps. You could possibly make the lowest 2 runs 44".

Thanks scmc872. That makes sense. As I'm going through the vignette again, I realized that I don't think it can be reduced to 44":
"2. Width: The minimum width shall not be less than 44 inches.
Ramps shall not reduce in width in the direction of egress travel."

So pretty much, I need to continue with the width chosen from the beginning.

"The least dimension in the direction of travel shall be 60 inches. If ramps change direction at landings, the least dimension shall be 60 inches." - NCARB program.

This confuses me also. Presumably it needs to be 44", but it makes a mention of handrail projections. I assume that the handrail projection doesn't apply when it is an extension protruding perpendicularly into the clearance. On the other hand you might be able to get away with a 4" encroachment; reducing your minimum clearance to 40"? I'd stick with 44" to be safe.

"Maneuvering Clearances
1. The minimum width of an exit route shall not be less than 44 inches.
Projections into a required exit route width are prohibited, except for handrail projections
"

That makes sense - thanks.

Also, I believe you need to provide a rail on the open side of the smallest ramp. Even though it is only 3" rise (so a handrail isn't necessary) it is an "open side" so you need a guardrail. Since handrails and guardrails are the same in this vignette, you need the handrail.

"Open sides of landings, floor surfaces, ramps, and stairways shall be protected by a continuous guardrail." - NCARB program

The only time you wouldn't need a handrail is if your ramp was up against a wall or a higher ramp (with a guardrail) and was less than 6" rise. (So probably you are right in not needing one on the opposite side of the 3" ramp). My philosophy on this, though, is that if it doesn't encroach on other requirements, you may as well show a handrail.

Got it - I had not caught that. Thank you!!!
carpar

Postby Coach » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:13 pm

carpar wrote:Why does the NCARB solution (as I also show) has the ramp segments width at 60" throughout?

Sometimes it's easier to do so.

Why is it not reduced to 44", as shown in other solutions?

You can't reduce width in direction of egress.

It can be no less than overall stair width. Egress width narrows as shown.

Missing rail at bottom run.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby carpar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you!!!
carpar

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS