NCARB 3.1 Vignettes for Review

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

NCARB 3.1 Vignettes for Review

Postby omincorporated » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi all,

Will be taking BDCS this Friday, would love to get some feedback on the following NCARB 3.1 vignettes.

ncarb 3.1 ramp.jpg

First, the ramp. I don't get why the sample passing solution uses a switchback ramp when you can get there with an L-shape. My only guess is I'm not supposed to be blocking the width of the corridor leading to the main building corridor.

ncarb 3.1 stair floor 2.jpg

ncarb 3.1 stair floor 1.jpg

Second - the stair. Can the 12" railing projection @ the top encroach into the clear floor space of that door?

ncarb 3.1 roof.jpg

Lastly, the roof. Can the flashing overlap w/ the clerestory window (is the computer smart enough to see both things?) or should I pull one away from the other? Which? I put the downspouts that are over the vestibule against the two columns on either side, rather than at the very end. Am I overthinking this and should they just go at the end?

Thanks as always for any help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omincorporated

Re: NCARB 3.1 Vignettes for Review

Postby Coach » Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm

omincorporated wrote:First, the ramp. I don't get why the sample passing solution uses a switchback ramp when you can get there with an L-shape. My only guess is I'm not supposed to be blocking the width of the corridor leading to the main building corridor.

Your guess is correct. Do not diminish existing width until both stair and ramp are accessible.

Second - the stair. Can the 12" railing projection @ the top encroach into the clear floor space of that door?

Rail mounted on door wall may encroach.

Can the flashing overlap w/ the clerestory window (is the computer smart enough to see both things?) or should I pull one away from the other?

Place clerestory in wall.

I put the downspouts that are over the vestibule against the two columns on either side, rather than at the very end. Am I overthinking this and should they just go at the end?
Either way works.

Ramp
Egress narrows at base of ramp.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.

Stair
Stair looks narrow.
Rails at southwest of top landing encroach.
First floor CFA is too small.
South upper run drawn incorrectly.

Roof
Upper roof is higher than necessary.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby omincorporated » Mon May 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you so much Coach (as usual :D )!! A few clarifications please... (my add'l questions in blue)

Coach wrote:Ramp
Egress narrows at base of ramp. narrowed by the railing ?
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.

Stair
Stair looks narrow. i made the stair 48", so 3'-8" incl uding the railings, 3'-4" clear btwn railings. is that right?
Rails at southwest of top landing encroach encroach into the clear floor space of that door? so railings can only encroach info CFA if they are attached to a wall...?
First floor CFA is too small.
South upper run drawn incorrectly. how so? can't figure out what i did wrong there

Roof
Upper roof is higher than necessary. i got the low point of the upper roof by adding 18" + 30" to the high point of my low roof (14'-10") to get 18'-10".... what did i do wrong? should i have started from where the low roof hits the clerestory wall...?

a million more thanks Coach, this will be my last exam (before I go onto CSE) and I cannot put into words how valuable this forum has been for my studying!!
omincorporated

Postby Coach » Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm

omincorporated wrote:
Coach wrote:Ramp
Egress narrows at base of ramp. narrowed by the railing ?

Yes. Distance from end of ramp or rail to south wall cannot be less than overall ramp width.

Stair
Stair looks narrow. i made the stair 48", so 3'-8" incl uding the railings, 3'-4" clear btwn railings. is that right?

Nope.

Rails at southwest of top landing encroach encroach into the clear floor space of that door? so railings can only encroach info CFA if they are attached to a wall...?

Yes. Only the same wall the door is on.

South upper run drawn incorrectly. how so? can't figure out what i did wrong there

It must be a cut stair.

Roof
Upper roof is higher than necessary. i got the low point of the upper roof by adding 18" + 30" to the high point of my low roof (14'-10") to get 18'-10".... what did i do wrong? should i have started from where the low roof hits the clerestory wall...?

Yes. Use the highest point at the clerestory wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS