Stair Vignette w/ specific questions for Coach!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette w/ specific questions for Coach!

Postby CoffeeFiend » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi Coach,
Super nervous about the BDCS vignettes, as I've heard they're among the trickiest out there. I took a stab at the stair vignette today. I had these specific questions:

1. Does the minimum stair width of 48" mean CLEAR width or OVERALL width? I made my stairs 4'-4" wide min. to account for the handrails. Is this necessary?
2. Similar question for the area of refuge. Is the required 48"x30" clear OUTSIDE the handrails, or can the rails encroach into this space?
3. Can the handrails end at the cut line on the cut stairs (as I've shown)?
4. How much clearance is required between the handrail and the door jamb on the 1'-9" landing?

Do I have a passing solution? Thanks so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoffeeFiend

Re: Stair Vignette w/ specific questions for Coach!

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 am

CoffeeFiend wrote:1. Does the minimum stair width of 48" mean CLEAR width or OVERALL width? I made my stairs 4'-4" wide min. to account for the handrails. Is this necessary?

What's the code say?

2. Similar question for the area of refuge. Is the required 48"x30" clear OUTSIDE the handrails, or can the rails encroach into this space?

AOR must be clear.

3. Can the handrails end at the cut line on the cut stairs (as I've shown)?

They should stop at cut line.

4. How much clearance is required between the handrail and the door jamb on the 1'-9" landing?

I would use 2" min.

Stair is too narrow.
Top landing is too small.
Cut stair don't align.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS