NALSA alternates - please help, test saturday!

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

NALSA alternates - please help, test saturday!

Postby ooreo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 pm

hi everyone,

any comments on this would be extremely appreciated I am testing this weekend.

these are for the NALSA alternate program using the NCARB plans.

Ramp
dorfalt_ramp.jpg

Stair
a couple questions - is there a dimension one should extend the handrails past when using cut stair? I used 1'-0" again in the below
I've read different riser heights between flights is OK. it's the only way I could get it to work with the intermediate level at 6'-0". has anyone had a bad experience with that?

dorfalt_stair1.jpg

dorfalt_stair2.jpg

Roof
this one is differentthan the solution they provide. any thoughts on critical errors?
how does one know how long the cricket has to extend?
dorfalt_roof.jpg

thanks forum!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ooreo

Re: NALSA alternates - please help, test saturday!

Postby powellar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Looks good. Cricket should be around 45 angle. If chimney is 7' wide, extend 3.5' (7'/2 for each cricket side)
powellar

Postby KeepCalm&ARE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm

"Stair
a couple questions - is there a dimension one should extend the handrails past when using cut stair? I used 1'-0" again in the below"
The NCARB cut stair "tutorial" states you can end them at cut line, so no need to go 1' beyond the cut.

"I've read different riser heights between flights is OK. it's the only way I could get it to work with the intermediate level at 6'-0". has anyone had a bad experience with that?"
I have the same question, but of all I've read and seen in videos, Dorf, Amber, etc. it is said that all risers/treads must be the same in the same flight (run) of stairs. The next flight could have a different dimension. I think it's near impossible to get ALL stairs in the problem the same rise height/tread depth. Will test that theory next Wednesday in the exam...
KeepCalm&ARE

Postby ooreo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks all! It was a PASS!
ooreo

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Roof should not have a cricket.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby man of 051200 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:13 pm

KeepCalm&ARE wrote:"Stair
a couple questions - is there a dimension one should extend the handrails past when using cut stair? I used 1'-0" again in the below"
The NCARB cut stair "tutorial" states you can end them at cut line, so no need to go 1' beyond the cut.

"I've read different riser heights between flights is OK. it's the only way I could get it to work with the intermediate level at 6'-0". has anyone had a bad experience with that?"
I have the same question, but of all I've read and seen in videos, Dorf, Amber, etc. it is said that all risers/treads must be the same in the same flight (run) of stairs. The next flight could have a different dimension. I think it's near impossible to get ALL stairs in the problem the same rise height/tread depth. Will test that theory next Wednesday in the exam...

What were your findings on the different risers/treads? I agree, difference should be acceptable as here is how I read NCARB's 4.0 example instructions:

The instructions inform the whole assembly (i.e. stairs, landings, handrails) as a STAIRWAY. Note Point 2 Definitions under Code states:

"Exit Stairways: That portion of a means of egress which is separated from all other spaces of a building by fire resistance-rated construction to provide a protected way of travel to an exit door at grade. A stairway shall consist of one or more flights of stairs and the landings connecting them."

This stairway then is comprised of three separate FLIGHTS of stairs. Point 4 under 'Stairways' in the instructions states:

"Treads shall be of uniform depth and risers of uniform height in any flight of stairs."

So indeed NCARB informs riser/treads can be different from one side of a landing to another. That's at least how I read it and tend to pursue my vignette.
man of 051200

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS