Specific Roof Questions

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Specific Roof Questions

Postby dnkaye » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:55 am

I guess I just have lots of these specific questions that bug me, and NCARB doesn't really give a clear answer to. Any general comments welcome.

But in this ALT roof vignette, there are 3 roof heights, two low slope and one higher slope. My questions: 1) How high does the second lowest roof edge have to be above the lowest roof edge? I left 2" (13-2" and 13'-4") because I didn't want to leave 0", although theoretically could I have? And would I need to flash the joint between the two lower roofs..?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dnkaye

Re: Specific Roof Questions

Postby 7togo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 am

NCARB 4.0 leaves 6". You can't fit a gutter and downspout in 2" which is required, in the 4.0 program anyway, for draining from one roof plane to another. "Design logic" would say leave about 6" for the gutter and downspout. Yes you need to flash wherever a roof plane hits a wall. The alt program I used for this vignette called for two skylights in the hall and two in the conference room FYI
7togo

Postby bing.katie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm

7togo - I'm curious where you saw 4.0 specifying 6" between roof planes? I can't find that at all...
bing.katie

Postby 7togo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 am

It doesn't, if you set the 4.0 vignette up the way they do in the exam guide sample passing solution and do the math it ends up being 6"
7togo

Postby vtmtbkr » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 pm

This can be done to eliminate one of your roof volumes, try something else.

In the real world you would need around 2' or more to provide proper flashing and gutter/downspout room, I don't know what it would need in the NCARB world since the program doesn't tell you.
vtmtbkr

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS