Conflicting Information about Metal Corrosion

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Conflicting Information about Metal Corrosion

Postby Concord55 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:03 am

Through two different sources, I have come across some conflicting information about which metals corrode other metals.

For example, in the Ballast practice exam it asks about the properties of stainless steel and one of the answers is that “it should not be in contact with copper.” In other sources I have read that copper will cause corrosion in steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, zinc-coated steel and steel alloys, but that stainless steel is not likely to cause substantial corrosion.

I realize that in general the same metal should be used and that different metals should be separated by neoprene or another material (also for thermal breaks), but when the question specifically asks which metals should not be in contact what is the correct answer regarding copper and stainless steel?

The Galvanic charts in Ballast and Ching are also slightly different...

Thanks for any input!
Concord55

Re: Conflicting Information about Metal Corrosion

Postby Coach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 am

Unfortunately, there are different types of stainless and copper. Use a source that concentrates on building materials.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Conflicting Information about Metal Corrosion

Postby Concord55 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for your response. Those types of questions aren’t entirely fair the way they are worded, but that’s just part of the testing process.
Concord55

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS