Questions of Stair, Ramp, and Roof

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Questions of Stair, Ramp, and Roof

Postby siza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 pm

These were my first try on the vignettes. Regardless my solutions were different than the NCARB pass ones, I have some questions that I wasn't able to find clear answers from my study. I'd really appreciate any comments here.

Questions on Stair Vignette:
1. Which plan should I draw the stair elements? I drew everything on the upper floor plan then realized I don't have anything drawn on the lower plan. So I start to draw elements lower than the cut line on the lower plan. Would I fail if I leave the lower plan empty and draw everything on the upper plan?
2. In my solution, my intermediate landing was at 6'-9" (less than 80"). Would this count as a fatal error? I was thinking that's a dead corner on the first floor, therefore, head height is not an issue.
3. Is it required to draw guardrails and handrails on the open sides? there is only one "railing" tool in the software. I noticed all example solutions draw one railing only.
4. Some people suggest to simplify the calculation by using 12" depth treads. Since I don't know how tight the space would be, I started with 11" depth tread. This gave me a larger landing area. would this be a concern?

Questions on Ramp:
1. Would my solution pass? I used 44" ramp (4" railing+36" clearance btw railings+4" railing), 5'-0" depth landing. Since each ramp changes direction at the landing, my 2nd & 3rd landings are 60" x 88".
2. Some people suggest to always use 5ft wide ramp so the landing won't be messed up since ramps are always required to change directions. Is 5ft wide ramp a wise suggestion?

Questions on Roof Plan:
1. I am confused about the exhaust, plumbing vent stack quantity and locations. What can be shared for back to back toilet rooms? Would it be acceptable if one vent stack for the sinks and one stack for the toilets, located on the shared wall?
2. Is the HVAC unit location acceptable? I located the unit 3ft away from the lower room edge which meets the south wall of the exhibition hall.
3. Is there any height limit on the high roof?
4. Is there a way to choose which point to put down a spot elevation? It seems they were automatically chosen. I would like to have spot elevation of one of the lowest points shown. But don't know how.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siza

Re: Questions of Stair, Ramp, and Roof

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:40 am

siza wrote:Questions on Stair Vignette:
1. Which plan should I draw the stair elements? I drew everything on the upper floor plan then realized I don't have anything drawn on the lower plan. So I start to draw elements lower than the cut line on the lower plan. Would I fail if I leave the lower plan empty and draw everything on the upper plan?

If you don't use cuts, everything must be on the upper level and nothing on the lower level. I strongly recommend always using cuts.

2. In my solution, my intermediate landing was at 6'-9" (less than 80"). Would this count as a fatal error? I was thinking that's a dead corner on the first floor, therefore, head height is not an issue.

Is there a required path of egress under it? Why not question the 1-9 landing too?

3. Is it required to draw guardrails and handrails on the open sides? there is only one "railing" tool in the software. I noticed all example solutions draw one railing only.

One rail.

4. Some people suggest to simplify the calculation by using 12" depth treads. Since I don't know how tight the space would be, I started with 11" depth tread. This gave me a larger landing area. would this be a concern?

I recommend always using 11" treads.

Questions on Ramp:
2. Some people suggest to always use 5ft wide ramp so the landing won't be messed up since ramps are always required to change directions. Is 5ft wide ramp a wise suggestion?

You have a perfectly good 44" ramp solution. Going in planning on using 60" ramps is unnecessary and foolish.

Questions on Roof Plan:
1. I am confused about the exhaust, plumbing vent stack quantity and locations. What can be shared for back to back toilet rooms? Would it be acceptable if one vent stack for the sinks and one stack for the toilets, located on the shared wall?

One vent can handle up to 6 fixtures on the same wall. All fixtures should be within 6' of a vent.

2. Is the HVAC unit location acceptable?

Yes.

No reason not to make it as low as possible.

4. Is there a way to choose which point to put down a spot elevation? It seems they were automatically chosen. I would like to have spot elevation of one of the lowest points shown. But don't know how.

It looks like you set them, so how did you do that? Are you saying that you never moved them and calculated the ones shown?

Roof
Each toilet room must have exhaust. Place over room, not wall.
Lounge exhaust not in program.

Ramp
Extend north rail of bottom ramp run east until adjacent surface is at or above landing level.

Stair
Delete extra rails.
Draw on both levels with cuts on each.
Stop rails at cut line.
Consistently hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby siza » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 pm

THANK YOU, Coach. Super helpful! Please check below for the response of your roof comment.

Coach wrote:
siza wrote:Questions on Stair Vignette:

If you don't use cuts, everything must be on the upper level and nothing on the lower level. I strongly recommend always using cuts.

Is there a required path of egress under it? Why not question the 1-9 landing too?

One rail.

I recommend always using 11" treads.

Questions on Ramp:

You have a perfectly good 44" ramp solution. Going in planning on using 60" ramps is unnecessary and foolish.

Questions on Roof Plan:

One vent can handle up to 6 fixtures on the same wall. All fixtures should be within 6' of a vent.

2. Is the HVAC unit location acceptable?

Yes.

No reason not to make it as low as possible.

It looks like you set them, so how did you do that? Are you saying that you never moved them and calculated the ones shown?
The location of spot elevation was automatically generated, I was just filling in the elevation value. What I wanted to do is to choose the lowest elevation of the roof for the elevation value. However the program generated the elevation box at the high point of the low roof. Is there a way I can choose where to locate the spot elevation?

Roof
Each toilet room must have exhaust. Place over room, not wall.
Lounge exhaust not in program.

Ramp
Extend north rail of bottom ramp run east until adjacent surface is at or above landing level.

Stair
Delete extra rails.
Draw on both levels with cuts on each.
Stop rails at cut line.
Consistently hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
siza

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:28 pm

siza wrote:The location of spot elevation was automatically generated, I was just filling in the elevation value. What I wanted to do is to choose the lowest elevation of the roof for the elevation value. However the program generated the elevation box at the high point of the low roof. Is there a way I can choose where to locate the spot elevation?

Click on the plane (away from the slope arrow) and it moves around to all points. Set the low point and others are automatically calculated.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby siza » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Thank you Coach!
siza

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS