Stair Vignette Attempt #1

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette Attempt #1

Postby jackstatic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey guys, just finished the first pass at the stair vignette. Like the ramp and roof vignettes I believe I understand HOW to accomplish the goal, but have some questions in regards to the code and everything allowed, this is pertaining to the 4.0 Vignette so I am not posting the program but can if need be.

First off, the cut stair tool seemed... awkward at best? The massive spacing of emptiness is throwing me off, I get that is to show the full length of the stair but I am simply unsure of where to end the railing as a result. I currently show it a tick past the cut line so that is fully past the line.

I also have a question regarding the 4" hand rail projections, as I've seen examples that vary on this. I have 2" space between the end of the stair edge and then the 2" rail for a total of 4", then I used 48" spacing between rails, and then another 2 for the rail and 2 between rail and wall, this created a stair that was 4'-8" total with a 48" clearance between rails, but the examples I have seen show the rail at the edge of the stairs (or closer than the 2 ticks i got) Am I missing something?

When calculating stair size at the lower levels, I am only focused on the Occupancy load for that floor? Am I supposed to be including the number from previously? Or is the only issue of importance that I do not decrease the stair size.

I went with 48" clear between handrails due to the area of refuge. due to the requirement

Anyway any help will be greatly appreciated. I will be practicing the 3.1 vignettes soonish as well.
Thanks in advance!
AREA OF REFUGE
1. An accessible area of refuge serving the second floor shall be provided within the stair enclosure.
2. The area of refuge shall be sized to accommodate one wheelchair space of 30 inches by 48 inches.
ยท Such wheelchair spaces shall not reduce the required stair or landing width.
3. When areas of refuge are required, stairway width shall have a minimum clear width of 48 inches between handrails.

Not really a question just more or less a confirmation of correctness, since the next largest stair width based on occupancy was 36" and the minimum was 44".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackstatic

Re: Stair Vignette Attempt #1

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm

jackstatic wrote:First off, the cut stair tool seemed... awkward at best? The massive spacing of emptiness is throwing me off,

That's probably because you were never taught how to do them. The tool is fine and that's how cut stair have always looked. (except for the extra shading past the cut line, which is a function of how the software needs it done.)

I get that is to show the full length of the stair but I am simply unsure of where to end the railing as a result. I currently show it a tick past the cut line so that is fully past the line.

That's how you do it.

I also have a question regarding the 4" hand rail projections, as I've seen examples that vary on this. I have 2" space between the end of the stair edge and then the 2" rail for a total of 4", then I used 48" spacing between rails, and then another 2 for the rail and 2 between rail and wall, this created a stair that was 4'-8" total with a 48" clearance between rails, but the examples I have seen show the rail at the edge of the stairs (or closer than the 2 ticks i got) Am I missing something?

You've done it correctly, the others are wrong.

When calculating stair size at the lower levels, I am only focused on the Occupancy load for that floor? Am I supposed to be including the number from previously? Or is the only issue of importance that I do not decrease the stair size.

The code addresses this.

Looks good.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Stair Vignette Attempt #1

Postby matt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 am

I learned to draw by hand and I wouldn't leave a gap at the cut stair so that when I put floors on top of each other, using transparencies, they would line up exactly. I do this with cad too. I guess it s just preference
matt

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS