Ramp Landing Clearance

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp Landing Clearance

Postby Jarnix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 pm

At a switch back landing where there is a 180 degree turn in the ramp, does the width of the ramp only have to be 60" as I show in the attached image? Or do you have to leave enough room within the inside of the railings (dim line "X" in image) to make a clear rotation of a wheelchair for the dimension as said by the code?

So essentially can the handrails project into the turning radius of the 60" diameter circle of the wheelchair? Or if not would the ramp need to be 68"x68" with 4" handrail projections so there is a 60" clear between the rails?

Or does the ability for the wheelchair 60" diameter not apply to the switchback landings? I read somewhere on this forum that 90 degree turns do not need to fit the circle in them, is this true?

I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times, but please would someone mind giving me an answer to help clear up some confusion.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarnix

Re: Ramp Landing Clearance

Postby Coach » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:02 pm

When required, turning circle must be clear.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Jarnix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 am

So is it required here at the 180 degree turn landing or no? The vagueness of your answer does not give any inclination of an answer.

I asked on NCARBs google +. They said the following: "Ramp landings definitely need to include a turning radius, but the handrails are allowed to project into that clearance area. So the 5' depth is adequate as you've shown. And the clear area for a 90 degree turn would require a 5' x 5' landing."

It seems like I am getting mixed answers all across the board. I thought it would have to be clear between the rails, much like how it is for where doors are, or within a room (like the SD vignettes). But based off NCARBs answers it seems I am wrong.
Jarnix

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 pm

The code says the turning circle must be clear. An clear (unencroached) circle is only required at 180-degree turns. Rails may encroach at 90-degree turns.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS