1st Attempt - Testing Friday 7.29.16 PLEASE COMMENT

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

1st Attempt - Testing Friday 7.29.16 PLEASE COMMENT

Postby jquintana118 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:42 am

Hey guys,

This if my first round at the vignettes for BDCS. I'm testing next Friday [7.29.16] and would really appreciate any input. I feel pretty confident about them but would love to have a second eye look at them and let me know if I missed anything.

As always, this thread is much appreciated. 5 down, 2 to go...I owe a lot to you all.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jquintana118

Re: 1st Attempt - Testing Friday 7.29.16 PLEASE COMMENT

Postby Coach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Stair
Stair is too narrow.

Ramp
25 & 9 landings are too small.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jquintana118 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Coach wrote:Stair
Stair is too narrow.

Ramp
25 & 9 landings are too small.

Thanks for the feedback Coach....Just to clarify the mistakes you pointed out..

(1) Stair is too narrow: The total width I went with was 3'-8". I pulled the worst case scenario from the program [360 Occupants/3 Exits], multiplied by the .3 factor and got 3'-0"...I added 4" to either side for the handrails. Looking back at the code just now, I'm thinking the mistake was under the stairway width section where it quotes "minimum width shall be computed in accordance with capacity of exit components, but shall not be less than 3'-8". I'm assuming that means 3'-8" CLEAR, which should make the total width of the stair 4'-4"....Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to make sense of the mistake and how I can fix it.

(2) Ramp @ 25 & 9 are too small: I followed the same train of thought, and maintained 3'-0" clear [total width was 3'-8"]...I'm guessing the same mistake carried over since I don't have 3'-8" CLEAR....Is this what you are pointing out? If so, I'm short 8" on the width just like the stairs.

Also, something I wasn't sure about with the ramps...a 5'-0" x 5'-0" landing is only necessary where the user is making a 180 degree turn correct?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the comments.
jquintana118

Postby Coach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 pm

jquintana118 wrote:(1) Stair is too narrow: The total width I went with was 3'-8". I pulled the worst case scenario from the program [360 Occupants/3 Exits], multiplied by the .3 factor and got 3'-0"...I added 4" to either side for the handrails. Looking back at the code just now, I'm thinking the mistake was under the stairway width section where it quotes "minimum width shall be computed in accordance with capacity of exit components, but shall not be less than 3'-8". I'm assuming that means 3'-8" CLEAR,

No, if occupant load governs, rails may encroach per code.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to make sense of the mistake and how I can fix it.

There's another code section that pertains to required width.

(2) Ramp @ 25 & 9 are too small: I followed the same train of thought, and maintained 3'-0" clear [total width was 3'-8"]...I'm guessing the same mistake carried over since I don't have 3'-8" CLEAR....Is this what you are pointing out? If so, I'm short 8" on the width just like the stairs.

There's nothing in the code about ramp/stair width needing to be clear.

Also, something I wasn't sure about with the ramps...a 5'-0" x 5'-0" landing is only necessary where the user is making a 180 degree turn correct?

No. Read the code again.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jquintana118 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Coach wrote:
jquintana118 wrote:(1) Stair is too narrow: The total width I went with was 3'-8". I pulled the worst case scenario from the program [360 Occupants/3 Exits], multiplied by the .3 factor and got 3'-0"...I added 4" to either side for the handrails. Looking back at the code just now, I'm thinking the mistake was under the stairway width section where it quotes "minimum width shall be computed in accordance with capacity of exit components, but shall not be less than 3'-8". I'm assuming that means 3'-8" CLEAR,

No, if occupant load governs, rails may encroach per code.

Nothing in the code is telling me to go bigger than 3'-8" so I don't understand why the stairs are narrow. What I drew was 3'-8". How is that wrong? Sorry Coach but I'm just trying to understand so I get it right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to make sense of the mistake and how I can fix it.

There's another code section that pertains to required width.

Same thing here with the ramp section. I just looked at the program code again. Theres nothing on there telling me to go more that 3'-8" in width, which is what I drew. Please clarify.

There's nothing in the code about ramp/stair width needing to be clear.

No. Read the code again.
Got this one. It's a bit of a conflict on their part because they say to provide 60" for a wheelchair to make a 180 degree turn. But then at the bottom it basically says "the least dimension in the direction of travel shall be 60 inches for landings"...I'll repost another one before the test on Friday with the larger landings, but I still don't understand the width comments...Thank you again for your time.

jquintana118

Postby Coach » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:30 pm

jquintana118 wrote: Nothing in the code is telling me to go bigger than 3'-8" so I don't understand why the stairs are narrow. What I drew was 3'-8". How is that wrong? Sorry Coach but I'm just trying to understand so I get it right.

Same thing here with the ramp section. I just looked at the program code again. Theres nothing on there telling me to go more that 3'-8" in width, which is what I drew. Please clarify.

Did you read the last item in the code?

Got this one. It's a bit of a conflict on their part because they say to provide 60" for a wheelchair to make a 180 degree turn. But then at the bottom it basically says "the least dimension in the direction of travel shall be 60 inches for landings".

How is that a conflict?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jquintana118 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Coach wrote:
jquintana118 wrote: Nothing in the code is telling me to go bigger than 3'-8" so I don't understand why the stairs are narrow. What I drew was 3'-8". How is that wrong? Sorry Coach but I'm just trying to understand so I get it right.

Did you read the last item in the code?

"When areas of refuge are required, stairway width shall have a minimum clear width of 48" between handrail." I'm guessing this is the last bullet point you are talking about from the code? So providing a total stair width of 4'-4" would put that to rest. I understand the issue with the landings. Thanks coach. I really appreciate the time to clear this up.

Got this one. It's a bit of a conflict on their part because they say to provide 60" for a wheelchair to make a 180 degree turn. But then at the bottom it basically says "the least dimension in the direction of travel shall be 60 inches for landings".

How is that a conflict?
jquintana118

Postby Coach » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:53 am

jquintana118 wrote:So providing a total stair width of 4'-4" would put that to rest.

4-8
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jquintana118 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Coach wrote:
jquintana118 wrote:So providing a total stair width of 4'-4" would put that to rest.

4-8

Sorry, that's what I meant. Thanks Coach....Hopefully all goes well - I'm taking it on Friday. Good luck to everyone.
jquintana118

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS