Coach i Need you!!Prime number Elevation height.

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Coach i Need you!!Prime number Elevation height.

Postby icantgiveup » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:57 pm

On the ramp/stair vignette. How do you solve for an prime number elevation. For example, i a 22" elevation as a problem on an alternate vignette, how do you solve for a elevation were any number between 4 and 7 doesnt divide into it? Will something like this happen on the exam? Please help :oops:
icantgiveup

Re: Coach i Need you!!Prime number Elevation height.

Postby kant » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 pm

You can use the calculator in the program
kant

Postby Topping Out » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:05 pm

icantgiveup wrote: On the ramp/stair vignette. How do you solve for an prime number elevation. For example, i a 22" elevation as a problem on an alternate vignette, how do you solve for a elevation were any number between 4 and 7 doesnt divide into it?

Are you talking about stair riser heights? Have you used the software? There is no place to enter riser heights, you simply enter the number of risers between two elevations (ground floor and a landing for instance). In your case, take 22" and divide by 7" riser heights, you get 3.1428... risers. You cant have 3.1428... risers, so instead you round up to 4 risers. 4 risers will give you a riser height of 5.5", which is between the required 4" and 7". The program checks to make sure that between levels the risers would not be below 4" or above 7" in height.

And yes, you will have to use the in program calculator. I suggest converting everything to inches to make it easier, but double check everything. If you are having problems with figuring out riser heights/landing heights you need to practice, because the time flies during the examination. On the stair vignette for instance, the first thing you should do after reading the program and code is look at the section and top floor plan to figure out the total height you need to travel vertically, then convert that to inches, then divide by 7" or 6". So 13'-0" x 12" per foot = 156" of vertical travel. Divide by 7 = nasty number 22.28. So then try dividing by 6 = 26, that's a better number. That means you have 26 risers of 6". You can have different riser heights between landings (read the program), but it helps to figure out the total risers. It is also possible for you to have an intermediate level that can be easily divided by 6" risers and the rest of the risers are easily divided by 7". Look for the easy math and easy divisible numbers, it will probably be 6 or 7 inch risers.

See this thread also, same thing: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32793

I hope that makes sense.

TO
Topping Out

Postby icantgiveup » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks you all. The helped tremendously :D .
icantgiveup

Postby Coach » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 pm

There's no reason for you to know what the exact riser heights are as long as they are within the required range.

Same for ramps. If slope is less than 1:12, you're good.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby icantgiveup » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks Coach, i appreciate you taking the time to comment and help me out good sir.
icantgiveup

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS