Site Design - First Attempts TESTING TUESDAY

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design - First Attempts TESTING TUESDAY

Postby rss » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Two attempts at the site design vignette mostly because I have a few questions about how some items should be addressed:

1. Can the pedestrian walkway cross the driveway? The NCARB passing solution shows the pedestrian walkway intersecting the driveway, but I've had people tell me this should be avoided. Would doing this be a failing solution?

2. How do you determine if a building has enough "view" of something? Here, I tried to keep most of the Restaurant's view of the pond clear, but as you can see, the corner of the restaurant is blocked by the coniferous tree I'm using to block the view of the service entry from the plaza.

3. Can pedestrian walkways and the plaza overlap with the white rectangle that indicates the building entry or should they stop when they meet the edge?

4. Can you clarify how much noonday sun the plaza should be exposed to? I was under the impression that the entire south side of the plaza should be exposed which would be an issue with the office tower shading part of the plaza, but the NCARB passing solution shows the noon day sun with an arrow coming pointing towards the plaza from the northwest side of the plan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rss

Re: Site Design - First Attempts TESTING TUESDAY

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

rss wrote:Two attempts at the site design vignette mostly because I have a few questions about how some items should be addressed:

1. Can the pedestrian walkway cross the driveway? Not recommended.The NCARB passing solution shows the pedestrian walkway intersecting the driveway, but I've had people tell me this should be avoided. Would doing this be a failing solution? Not fatal by itself. NCARB passing examples contain errors.

2. How do you determine if a building has enough "view" of something? Here, I tried to keep most of the Restaurant's view of the pond clear, but as you can see, the corner of the restaurant is blocked by the coniferous tree I'm using to block the view of the service entry from the plaza. You could slide the restaurant south...making that tree unnecessary.

3. Can pedestrian walkways and the plaza overlap with the white rectangle that indicates the building entry Yesor should they stop when they meet the edge? PP and walks can overlap those rectangles. The service drive can overlap, but must maintain 5' clear from the building (blue area).

4. Can you clarify how much noonday sun the plaza should be exposed to? I was under the impression that the entire south side of the plaza should be exposed which would be an issue with the office tower shading part of the plaza, but the NCARB passing solution shows the noon day sun with an arrow coming pointing towards the plaza from the northwest side of the plan. Expose as much as possible to sun if that is required.

1st solution -
Why did you add deciduous trees?
Walk prevents the PP from touching the OT entry. OT must open directly to the PP.
Verify building separation.
HCP parking should be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.

2nd solution -
Move the restaurant north & reconfigure the PP so that a new tree at the NW corner of the restaurant will not be needed. The goal is 100% view of the pond from the restaurant. Not fatal if it's not 100%.
Reduce the amount of the PP shaded by the OT.
Sparky83

Re: Site Design - First Attempts TESTING TUESDAY

Postby rss » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:57 am

Sparky83 wrote:
rss wrote:Two attempts at the site design vignette mostly because I have a few questions about how some items should be addressed:

1. Can the pedestrian walkway cross the driveway? Not recommended.The NCARB passing solution shows the pedestrian walkway intersecting the driveway, but I've had people tell me this should be avoided. Would doing this be a failing solution? Not fatal by itself. NCARB passing examples contain errors.

2. How do you determine if a building has enough "view" of something? Here, I tried to keep most of the Restaurant's view of the pond clear, but as you can see, the corner of the restaurant is blocked by the coniferous tree I'm using to block the view of the service entry from the plaza. You could slide the restaurant south...making that tree unnecessary.

3. Can pedestrian walkways and the plaza overlap with the white rectangle that indicates the building entry Yesor should they stop when they meet the edge? PP and walks can overlap those rectangles. The service drive can overlap, but must maintain 5' clear from the building (blue area).

4. Can you clarify how much noonday sun the plaza should be exposed to? I was under the impression that the entire south side of the plaza should be exposed which would be an issue with the office tower shading part of the plaza, but the NCARB passing solution shows the noon day sun with an arrow coming pointing towards the plaza from the northwest side of the plan. Expose as much as possible to sun if that is required.

1st solution -
Why did you add deciduous trees? silly mistake on my part
Walk prevents the PP from touching the OT entry. OT must open directly to the PP.
Verify building separation. building separation is a little over 210' as required in the program
HCP parking should be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.

2nd solution -
Move the restaurant north & reconfigure the PP so that a new tree at the NW corner of the restaurant will not be needed. The goal is 100% view of the pond from the restaurant. Not fatal if it's not 100%.
Reduce the amount of the PP shaded by the OT.

Thanks for your feedback!!! Will keep practicing with these items in mind.
rss

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN