SPD Design Vignette - Review?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

SPD Design Vignette - Review?

Postby yodella » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm

ARE 4.0 Site Planning - Site Plan Design Vignette Help!

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this first attempt at the SPD design vignette. Any thoughts? I have a few questions that perhaps one of you could answer:

1. What is considered the building 'entrance'? It looks like there is a pad in front of the recessed entries, but I'm not sure from where to measure the distance from the entrance and how to draw the plaza/sidewalk near the entries.
2. Since the entry to the Office Tower is recessed, is it technically visible from Bentley Ave?

My solution here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vfT_gCE6Esg/WxmfykApBmI/AAAAAAAAIOo/_-QjX_DrRCQ5LWtu5XVzTmL2587k6YJXQCJoC/w1060-h782-n-rw/Screen%2BShot%2B2018-06-07%2Bat%2B4.10.56%2BPM.png

Thanks so much. Any feedback is much appreciated.

-Adelle

PS. I just realized that the service drive is not 5' min. from the building. Will correct. :)
yodella

Re: SPD Design Vignette - Review?

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 am

yodella wrote:ARE 4.0 Site Planning - Site Plan Design Vignette Help!

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this first attempt at the SPD design vignette. Any thoughts? I have a few questions that perhaps one of you could answer:

1. What is considered the building 'entrance'? It looks like there is a pad in front of the recessed entries, but I'm not sure from where to measure the distance from the entrance and how to draw the plaza/sidewalk near the entries. Point of the triangle where it touches the building.
2. Since the entry to the Office Tower is recessed, is it technically visible from Bentley Ave? No.

Thanks so much. Any feedback is much appreciated.

-Adelle

PS. I just realized that the service drive is not 5' min. from the building. Will correct. :)

New walk (not drawn with NCARB software) fails to connect to the existing walk.
Coniferous trees should NEVER overlap paving. You cannot walk or drive under them. See the tree diagrams.
Forcing service vehicles through the parking area is poor design logic.
Restaurant entry does not have to face the pond.
Sparky83

Re: SPD Design Vignette - Review?

Postby yodella » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:41 am

New walk (not drawn with NCARB software) fails to connect to the existing walk. (drawn with Acrobat because the vignette software crashed :x ) Does the walk not connect because of the way it was drawn or because of the placement?
Coniferous trees should NEVER overlap paving. You cannot walk or drive under them. See the tree diagrams. Thank you; noted. Can a tree be removed/will it be flagged for removal if it directly overlaps the proposed paving? (Pending I can remove more trees).
Forcing service vehicles through the parking area is poor design logic. Noted and agreed, however, will this be scored on the vignette? If so, do you suggest the service entry be along the main drive prior to the parking entry if possible?
Restaurant entry does not have to face the pond.Though it must view the pond, which perhaps can happen from either of the long sides (not the service entry, clearly). Do you think this is the case?

Thank you very much for your feedback! I shall try this again with your suggestions.

Best,
Adelle
yodella

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN