Odds of a failed exam being overturned?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Odds of a failed exam being overturned?

Postby alulrich1667 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 am

I recently took and failed SPD which I thought I aced. I have 11 years of experience, and thought I aced the multiple choice portion. Apparently, I was wrong and failed the multiple choice of all areas. What are the odds of having it reviewed and overturned? Would I be wasting $100 having it reviewed? I really thought the multiple choice was easy, but apparently I'm a tremendous idiot. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alan
alulrich1667

Re: Odds of a failed exam being overturned?

Postby Coach » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:32 pm

alulrich1667 wrote:What are the odds of having it reviewed and overturned?

Next to zero.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Coach wrote:
alulrich1667 wrote:What are the odds of having it reviewed and overturned?

Next to zero.

...and even if you succeed, NCARB will not recognize it.
Sparky83

Postby cma52572 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

what scares me is that you thought you aced it and failed all the sections. That would make me suspect there was some sort of issue on their end.

May I ask what you studied??

It may be an issue on their end but no way they will overturn it. Don't waste your money.
cma52572

Postby Coach » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 pm

cma52572 wrote:what scares me is that you thought you aced it and failed all the sections. That would make me suspect there was some sort of issue on their end.

Actually, in all the years of doing this, I've found that those who come out feeling super confident tend to fail and those who think they did poorly tend to pass.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cma52572 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm

well that could be. Funny thing is I never walked out of an exam feeling like I nailed it.

I have walked out knowing I failed, but never thinking w/ certainty that I passed.

But Id still like to know what he studied. This exam...the study material feels overwhelming and I worry I'm perseverating on certain things and missing others.

I have been reading over every excruciatingly painful page of the SWPPP because I saw 3 different people say it was critical for the test. But I don't want to miss out on other areas.

Ive definitely read the basics too like Ballast and Kent, but the list people give of study material for this test is OVERWHELMING. Seems like the Russ Site book is key . So I am in the middle of that book now.

I have felt confidant walking in to tests, but never walking out. I think the ArchiFlash and Ballast can make people feel over confidant. So I'm always looking for the other key elements that the passers seem to read like SWPPP and Caroline's Notes.
cma52572

Postby fare75 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:50 am

cma52572 wrote: This exam...the study material feels overwhelming and I worry I'm perseverating on certain things and missing others.

If SPD is your last exam...don't over study...
You've probably learnt most of the stuff from BDCS, BS and PPP.

cma52572 wrote:I have been reading over every excruciatingly painful page of the SWPPP because I saw 3 different people say it was critical for the test. But I don't want to miss out on other areas.

Also learn Chemicals and Toxics and Land, Waste, and Cleanup from EPA website. These are always helpful and very easy to read.

cma52572 wrote:Ive definitely read the basics too like Ballast and Kent, but the list people give of study material for this test is OVERWHELMING. Seems like the Russ Site book is key . So I am in the middle of that book now.

learn ESA Phase I and II from Russ' book. It's not mentioned in other study guides.
fare75

Postby cma52572 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Oh thanks! I'm all over Phase I and Phase 2. hahaha!

Even though its sooo painfully boring!!!
cma52572

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN