Ncarb Site Design Vignette solution

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ncarb Site Design Vignette solution

Postby loonie » Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi folks, hoping to get some feedback on my vignette for site planning design. I used the NCARB original directions for this one
(bldg. no more than 125' from pond, rest. at least 210' from office, etc.).
do I need to move my Ped Plaza so that no trees overhang it?
are there any requirements to "connecting" my Plaza with my walkways?
am I ok with the 45 deg. summer sun on my plaza?
do I have to make my walkways perpendicular with the building entry? or is how I show them ok?
image is small due to req. not sure if you can see the entries..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loonie

Re: Ncarb Site Design Vignette solution

Postby shar.ak » Sun May 27, 2018 2:54 pm

1. I would swap the location of the entry drive to the other side - this will not force the driver through the parking to reach the service entrance.

2. Coniferous trees cannot overlap plaza.

3. Walkway does not need to extend on the south side of the third handicap parking spot.
shar.ak

Postby Riety » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

If using current NCARB program, Main Entrance of the Office Tower opens directly onto the plaza. I struggled with this as well as the building would cast a shadow.......
Riety

Postby loonie » Mon May 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Riety wrote:If using current NCARB program, Main Entrance of the Office Tower opens directly onto the plaza. I struggled with this as well as the building would cast a shadow.......

What? I'm sorry, I don't follow you.... building casting a shadow on what? and directions don't say anything about entry opening to plaza... says connect all with a walkway...
loonie

Postby Coach » Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am

loonie wrote:directions don't say anything about entry opening to plaza

"Locate the Pedestrian Plaza within the building limit lines so that the main entrance to the Office Tower opens directly onto the Pedestrian Plaza."

Drive is too close to restaurant.
Construction too close to pond.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby loonie » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Coach wrote:
loonie wrote:directions don't say anything about entry opening to plaza

"Locate the Pedestrian Plaza within the building limit lines so that the main entrance to the Office Tower opens directly onto the Pedestrian Plaza."

Drive is too close to restaurant.
Construction too close to pond.

why wouldn't they put that instruction about the entry to the office tower WITH the office tower info when stating that it needs to face Bently... ugh. thanks, obviously I missed that.

regarding the comment "too close to pond", directions say 30ft setback from the pond...my circles are 30ft. my sidewalk might be encroaching slightly (or did I miss something else?... i'll have to watch that,

NEW QUESTION... instructions say tower and pond shall be "no more than 125 ft apart". I initially took this to mean that my ENTIRE tower had to be within 125ft of the pond... do I just need to be concerned about the ENTRY to the building? the large circles are the 125ft radius from the pond.
loonie

Postby Riety » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Also be careful of the trees to the south of the plaza. If the program requires full sun @ noon, these will be casting 50' shadows (height of tree) over part of the plaza. I don't know that it would be significant point deduct, but better on the safe side.
Riety

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN