Vignette - Notes - Questions for Sparky

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Vignette - Notes - Questions for Sparky

Postby shar.ak » Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 am

Hi Sparky,

I started writing down some notes for my upcoming exam and wanted to confirm/ask a few things? Could you please review/confirm?
Appreciate your help!

A

1. Assuming the program states height of deciduous trees as 50’, and the plaza is required to be shaded, then the width of the plaza at any given point must not be more than 50’. In case of buildings casting shade: If the building is 30’ tall, then the shaded area should not be designed more than 30’ wide.

2. Does the height of an evergreen tree have any significance? Especially since even a 20’ tall building will break wind in any given direction and protect all downwind areas?

3. What is the shortest length of a driveway segment?

4. The program states: “Drives, traffic aisles, and parking spaces shall be no closer to x feet to a building”.
• What does ‘traffic aisle’ mean?
• Is a walkway considered a traffic aisle?
• Is a pedestrian plaza considered a traffic aisle? My understanding is no since I have seen several solutions with a pedestrian plaza touching the building perimeter?
shar.ak

Re: Vignette - Notes - Questions for Sparky

Postby Sparky83 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 am

shar.ak wrote:Hi Sparky,

I started writing down some notes for my upcoming exam and wanted to confirm/ask a few things? Could you please review/confirm?
Appreciate your help!

A

1. Assuming the program states height of deciduous trees as 50’, and the plaza is required to be shaded, then the width of the plaza at any given point must not be more than 50’. In case of buildings casting shade: If the building is 30’ tall, then the shaded area should not be designed more than 30’ wide. Deciduous trees can be placed on the plaza to provide shade.

2. Does the height of an evergreen tree have any significance? Especially since even a 20’ tall building will break wind in any given direction and protect all downwind areas? Coniferous trees cast shadows.

3. What is the shortest length of a driveway segment? Does not appear to matter unless the program says so.

4. The program states: “Drives, traffic aisles, and parking spaces shall be no closer to x feet to a building”.
• What does ‘traffic aisle’ mean? Driveway. What else could it mean?
• Is a walkway considered a traffic aisle? No. In this case they are referring to vehicular traffic.
• Is a pedestrian plaza considered a traffic aisle? Driving on the PP is not recommended. My understanding is no since I have seen several solutions with a pedestrian plaza touching the building perimeter?
Sparky83

Postby shar.ak » Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 am

Sparky83 wrote:

Appreciate your help!

A

1. Assuming the program states height of deciduous trees as 50’, and the plaza is required to be shaded, then the width of the plaza at any given point must not be more than 50’. In case of buildings casting shade: If the building is 30’ tall, then the shaded area should not be designed more than 30’ wide. Deciduous trees can be placed on the plaza to provide shade. Ok. thank you.

2. Does the height of an evergreen tree have any significance? Especially since even a 20’ tall building will break wind in any given direction and protect all downwind areas? Coniferous trees cast shadows. Evergreen shadow? Maybe I should have been more specific asking this question. What is the significance of an evergreen tree's height as it relates to breaking wind? What is the significance of a building's height as it relates to breaking wind?

3. What is the shortest length of a driveway segment? Does not appear to matter unless the program says so.okay

• What does ‘traffic aisle’ mean? Driveway. What else could it mean?ok thank you. I wanted to confirm since they already mention 'drives' in this sentence
• Is a walkway considered a traffic aisle? No. In this case they are referring to vehicular traffic.does this mean that a walkway can be adjacent (with no offset distance) to a building?
• Is a pedestrian plaza considered a traffic aisle? Driving on the PP is not recommended. My understanding is no since I have seen several solutions with a pedestrian plaza touching the building perimeter?
Haha :-)
shar.ak

Postby Sparky83 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am

shar.ak wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:

Appreciate your help!

A

1. Assuming the program states height of deciduous trees as 50’, and the plaza is required to be shaded, then the width of the plaza at any given point must not be more than 50’. In case of buildings casting shade: If the building is 30’ tall, then the shaded area should not be designed more than 30’ wide. Deciduous trees can be placed on the plaza to provide shade. Ok. thank you.

2. Does the height of an evergreen tree have any significance? Especially since even a 20’ tall building will break wind in any given direction and protect all downwind areas? Coniferous trees cast shadows. Evergreen shadow? Maybe I should have been more specific asking this question. What is the significance of an evergreen tree's height as it relates to breaking wind? What is the significance of a building's height as it relates to breaking wind? Sometimes they give you more information than you need. ;)

3. What is the shortest length of a driveway segment? Does not appear to matter unless the program says so.okay

• What does ‘traffic aisle’ mean? Driveway. What else could it mean?ok thank you. I wanted to confirm since they already mention 'drives' in this sentence
• Is a walkway considered a traffic aisle? No. In this case they are referring to vehicular traffic.does this mean that a walkway can be adjacent (with no offset distance) to a building? If the program requires an offset, no. If not, it doesn't matter.
Haha :-)
Sparky83

Postby shar.ak » Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am

Great!! Thank you!
shar.ak

Postby shar.ak » Sun May 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi Sparky,

I wanted to confirm a few more things as I continue practicing.

1. When the program states - OT and pond cannot be more than 125' apart -- what percentage of the OT needs to be within the 125' circles at various points on the pond periphery? Does the OT entrance need to fall within that circle?

For example, I am not sure whether the following will comply.

2. If the program requires a building entrance to face a particular street, I understand that facing the entrance directly toward the street is the easiest option. However, I have seen several solutions that provide a side view.

Is there any requirement or preference for direct view over side view? I am not sure whether providing a side view will hurt the vignette score.

Thank you,
A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shar.ak

Postby Sparky83 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:57 am

I wanted to confirm a few more things as I continue practicing.

1. When the program states - OT and pond cannot be more than 125' apart -- what percentage of the OT needs to be within the 125' circles at various points on the pond periphery? Doesn't matter as long as some portion of the OT is within 125' of the pond perimeter. Does the OT entrance need to fall within that circle? If the entrance mattered, they would have to say so.

For example, I am not sure whether the following will comply.

2. If the program requires a building entrance to face a particular street, I understand that facing the entrance directly toward the street is the easiest option. However, I have seen several solutions that provide a side view. If the entrance is recessed, it MUST face that street.

Is there any requirement or preference for direct view over side view? I am not sure whether providing a side view will hurt the vignette score. See above.

Thank you,
A
Sparky83

Postby shar.ak » Tue May 29, 2018 8:35 am

Very helpful. Thank you Sparky!
shar.ak

Postby cma52572 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm

"Is there any requirement or preference for direct view over side view? I am not sure whether providing a side view will hurt the vignette score.

See above."

Wait, this is one that confuses me Sparky, and I am not getting this answer. It sounds like from your answer you are saying if program requires a view and the entrance is recessed it must be a view from front side??????

w/ the 4.0 vignette the Restaurant needed to be turned 90 degrees to provide the view.

For example in this alt 4 vignette. It says City Hall shall have a view of monument. Does this side view count???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cma52572

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm

cma52572 wrote:For example in this alt 4 vignette. It says City Hall shall have a view of monument. Does this side view count???

Of course. In fact, it's better than the alternative.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN