Alt 2

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Alt 2

Postby fare75 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 am

Notes:
Since D-Trees don't block views. Daycare Center entrance behind is still considered "visible" from Bentley Ave.

180518_Alt1.jpg

Program - ALT 2

A Municipality plans to build a School, a Day Care Center, and a Playground on the site, with parking to serve the new buildings.

1. Locate the 2-story, 30 ft high Day Care Center close to the Monument.
· The main entrance shall be visible from Bently Ave.

2. Locate the 1-story, 20 ft high School close to the Day Care Center.

3. Draw a 6,800 ft² Playground.
· Locate the Playground within the building limit lines so that the drop off entrance to the School is blocked from the Playground.

4. The view of the entrance of the playground shall be visible from the Day Care Center.

5. The Day Care Center shall have a view of the Monument.

6. The Playground shall receive noonday summer shade.
· Assume a 45° solar altitude angle.

7. The Playground shall be blocked from the prevailing winter winds.
· The wind shall be blocked by buildings and/or trees, as appropriate.

8. Draw a total of 36 parking spaces.
· 32 standard (9 ft x 18 ft) parking spaces are required.
· 4 universally accessible (12 ft x 18 ft) parking spaces are required.
· Locate the universally accessible parking spaces within 90 ft of the main entrance of the Day Care Center.
· All parking spaces shall be perpendicular to the traffic aisles.
· No parallel parking is permitted.

9. Draw all traffic aisles and drives required to connect parking to the street.
· Drive-through circulation is required.
· Dead-end parking is prohibited.
· Parking along the service drive is prohibited.
· All drives and traffic aisles are automatically drawn at a width of 24 ft.
· The intersection of the access drive with the street must be perpendicular to the street for at least the first 20 ft of the drive.

10. Provide only one 24 ft wide curb cut located no closer than 120 ft from the intersection of the centerlines of the two existing public streets.

11. Draw vehicular circulation to access the parking and the School Drop off Entrance.
· A drive shall attach to the drop off entrance of the School.
· A turnaround or drive-through circulation is not required for the drop off drive.

12. Connect the Playground, the universally accessible parking spaces, and the main entrances of the two buildings to each other and to the existing public walk with a continuous walkway system.
· The Playground shall be considered part of the walkway system.

13. Adhere to the following general conditions:
· Paving on the site shall be minimized.
· Drives, traffic aisles, and parking spaces shall be no closer than 5 ft to a building.
· Buildings must be separated by a minimum of 20 ft.
· Provide a 30 ft setback from the Stream and Monument for all construction or built improvements.
· No more than 12 existing trees may be removed or disturbed.
· No construction or built improvements of any kind shall occur over any other existing site feature.
· No construction or built improvements of any kind shall occur outside the building limit line except for direct vehicular and pedestrian access.
· Buildings shall not overlap the Playground or parking.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fare75

Re: Alt 2

Postby clarisa24 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi fare75- Hope you did good on your test!

I am taking exam on Monday and had a question regarding approach to drop-off. I see that in your solution your road approaches drop-off from the front- I did the same on mine, but I was wondering if anyone knew if this is allowed? Or do you have to approach service from the side?

Thanks!
Attached my solution for Alternate 2 Site Design - Comments are welcome!
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clarisa24

Postby cma52572 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 pm

I don't think this solution works for having the day care entrance visible from Bentley.

I think your drop is Ok but please confirm w/ Sparky or Coach.

My question for the experts is in regards to requirement that Daycare have a view of entrance to playground.
I assume that doesn't mean the front of the day care needs the view...that the view could be from the side of daycare of entrance of playground. Is that correct?

I'm working on this one now too. Ill post my solution in a few.
cma52572

Postby clarisa24 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the notes! Have you posted your solution? Would love to see alternates...

C.
clarisa24

Postby cma52572 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:10 pm

ok here is my wonky solution. I think I can do better...had a tough time with this one....

I'm gonna work on a 2nd version ... will post that one too.
cma52572

Postby Anob » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm

cma52572

Also testing this Monday. I came up with a very similar solution to your vignette. Would really appreciate your comments.

As for as your vignette, I think the daycare can be closer to the the vignette. There's a video on youtube that talks about "closeness".
Thought the playground was supposed to be blocked from wind?
Anob

Postby Anob » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Re-attaching the vignette
Anob

Postby cma52572 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:45 pm

wow Anob! Look at that.
Man I am toiling away w/ this one.

So I think your solution looks good. Just a few small things....on the south east corner of playground...back it away from the drive a bit at least the min 5'.

And I would add a few deciduous trees on the south side of the playground for the sun shading.
cma52572

Postby cma52572 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:50 pm

are you guys getting thrown off by the fact that it says Playground shall receive noonday summer shade?? I know I did. So just be careful w/ their tricky language.
cma52572

Postby cma52572 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:26 pm

how bout this one? Is there such a thing as too long of a service drive?? The service drive is sort of long on this one.
cma52572

Postby Anob » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 am

I don't think there's such a thing as the service drive drive being too long but I believe Sparky83 has mentioned try to not have the service vehicles
travel through the parking lot to the service entry.

I think your handicap walkway to the Daycare isn't sufficient. The way you had it the first time was better.
I think the Daycare visibility to the Playground entry is sufficient but I think you should think of minimize impervious areas by making the walkway
connecting to the existing way shorter. And also keep in mind that buildings cast shadows at 45°. The school would cast a 20' shadow onto your playground.
Anob

Postby cma52572 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm

can you elaborate on why the HC parking is not sufficient? It is w/in the 90'. Are there other issues with it?

as for the school casting shadows. Yes, I put the PG there on purpose because it said the PG should receive summer shade as opposed to summer sun.

It says "6. The Playground shall receive noonday summer shade.
· Assume a 45° solar altitude angle." which is tricky in my opinion but means shade not sun.
cma52572

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN