Third try

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Third try

Postby bobarhett13 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

I’ve got to be the official WORST ARE candidate there has ever been. It’s been over two years since I first passed SD, and it has been nearly two years since my first SPD fail. I’ve since taken SPD a second time, PPP, and CDS once each. I’ve just returned from Tacoma taking SPD for the third time - incredible view of Mt. Rainier this morning; only positive thing today so far - It felt just as terrible as the last two times I took it. I really felt like I was ready this time. I’ve studied so many sources. Read entire SWPPP. Architect’s handbook. Jenny’s notes three times. Made my own guides and memorized the codes and regs. Read Kaplan and ballast. Did all quizzes and practice exams. Re-examed the ones I got wrong, looked up those sources, ARE SPD Guide, it’s practice exam. ....the test still felt foreign. Like I had never seen the content. Occasionally I’d see something familiar, but it rarely had the appropriate answer. Nothing seems to help. All I’m doing is burning away time from my family, work, it’s financially starting to hurt. I have no choice but to just keep trying again and again and again. It makes me feel like I’m suffocating. I am seriously considering dropping the big bucks for a course like Funkaar. It’s a huge investment, but what does it take to make this f***ing sh** click with me?!

FYSA, I know this is highly embarrassing, and I’m sure it’ll eventually turn into one of those stories of hope when I eventually pass, but right now, there is only frustration.
bobarhett13

Re: Third try

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Try to find a study group in your area. Find out what others in your office did...get their advice. Maybe there's something basic they can spot to help you.
Sparky83

Postby GEA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I know this feeling all too well.. I've failed SPD twice already and felt like the content was totally foreign also and stuff that I have never seen before!! I'm sorry you feel this way, but what everybody always tells me is "if it were easy everyone would be doing it" ... be proud of yourself for even having the attitude to have gotten this far and to have the ambition to keep going! So many people quit after failing just 1 exam! Acknowledge it sucks because it does, give yourself some credit, and be confident next time.

Also, rather than studying more material (which I'm sure you feel like you've seen over and over again), study how you were feeling up to the exam. Is there anything you can do better mentally? Why do you think you failed? Do you get nervous before an exam? How did you take the test? These tests are 50% what you know and 50% how you take a test. I personally am NOT a good test taker. One small thing throws me for a loop, but I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize.

I'm going in on Saturday for my third attempt. Dear god, I hope I pass.
GEA

Postby changes627 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

bobarhett

I know it can be so so spirit crushing when you have given up time with your family and warm weather days to be chained to ARE study materials... not to mention... these re-takes aren't cheap....

I'm NOT a "good test taker"... I get so anxious, my mind goes blank and i feel like i can't even comprehend english, haha. I failed the CDS exam twice (granted there was a year gap in between my takes due to life reasons that prevented me from continuing to take the exams) but I did pass on my 3rd try. the 2nd fail was hard because I felt very confident going in because I studied all the suggested materials many many times, because I started to believe I legitimately didn't possess the mental capacity to pass these exams. But I decided to study for all 3 exams at once and take them all within 1-2 weeks of each other. and passed all 3, cds (3rd attempt), SPD and PPP (first attempt). I say all of this to say... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Really!!! (... I feel like I got through architecture school because I was obsessive in studio.. def NOT book smart...)

for SPD, I studied the same material you studied PLUS I read ALL of russ's Site Planning Design Handbook and while i reading it, i took HANDWRITTEN notes - i felt like writing (drawing) out what i was reading help me actually absorb the information. I know there is a mixed review about that book - but i felt like it was a good change of pace from reading Ballast and Kaplan and due to the length (its a textbook...) i lived with the material for a while. I feel like that book gave me a more well rounded knowledge on the subject matter and even the "random" questions, i could figure out the answer or at least eliminate 2 choices.

hoping this helps/ encourages you in your next round of studying -- you got this!
changes627

Postby cma52572 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 pm

ok thanks so I guess I will be reading the Russ book. I like advice like that. Someone also said the epas SWPPP was critical so I read that page for page.

Anyone else have any "must read" or "must review" tips for spd?

does spd get into foundation design? like piles, slurry walls etc
cma52572

Postby fare75 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:22 am

cma52572 wrote:ok thanks so I guess I will be reading the Russ book. I like advice like that. Someone also said the epas SWPPP was critical so I read that page for page.

Anyone else have any "must read" or "must review" tips for spd?

does spd get into foundation design? like piles, slurry walls etc

Yes. Read those from BDCS materials. Building Construction Illustrated is a good source.
fare75

Postby cma52572 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm

for the love of god. I don't want to say how long I studied for BCDS but lets just say it was more than a year because I decided to read that damn MEEB book. I was praying Id never have to go back in to that matrix again. sadly I don't think I was able to commit most of it to memory.

But alas, I will go over.
cma52572

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN