WTF practice questions

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

WTF practice questions

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 am

I was going to not do any more of these but then ballast strikes again. I'll post only a few. Question 15 of the ballast practice questions (where the solution is given immediately after the question) I answered d thinking for sure that was the answer. I can understand a giant state college being placed off an exit of a highway but not a community college, which would be used more locally with public transportation. Question 16 I answered c. I think a neighborhood would be more concerned with a towering hospital being built than parking which can be accommodated more easily. Whatever both seems like trick questions. Question 25 about where utilities are most commonly found is terrible as well. I said streets - their answer right of way but thats more general and the question asked commonly. Even in their answer they say "in most cases, they are under the streets".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Re: WTF practice questions

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Huh? We need to know table 503 by heart? Most likely not I'm guessing but Ballast doesn't mention to look at table 503 for reference making you think you should memorize the table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm

I answered ACEF because I've never come across loading spaces in NYC zoning but I have come across minimum amount of window exposure in the form of light and air requirements for quality housing...
anonymous283

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Really? Moving a parking lot to a different side of a building except maybe north of it if has height, would make little difference in terms of overall micro climate. That parking lot is still baking in the sun either location mid day and breezes could move the heat into the building. Its not like the parking lots are reflective enough to bounce light into offices either right? I answered A (trees blocking sun hitting heat reflecting walls during the summer to reduce heat in the micro climate and reduce heat indoors in the summer) and almost answered C but didn't really know what the pond would do with winds - anyone know?
anonymous283

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Are you kidding me? I don't have time right now to find them but I know there are about 2 other questions in PPP that contradict this one. I answered A because on those previous questions distance was the most important factor in reducing noise. They say B because highway is a linear noise...
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Question 15 of the ballast practice questions (where the solution is given immediately after the question) I answered d thinking for sure that was the answer. I can understand a giant state college being placed off an exit of a highway but not a community college, which would be used more locally with public transportation.

Public transportation uses major highways too, but more importantly, a residential neighborhood is the worst place!

Question 16 I answered c. I think a neighborhood would be more concerned with a towering hospital being built than parking which can be accommodated more easily.

You assume it's towering. Parking is always a major concern.

Question 25 about where utilities are most commonly found is terrible as well. I said streets - their answer right of way but thats more general and the question asked commonly. Even in their answer they say "in most cases, they are under the streets".

Streets are a subset of right of way.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Huh? We need to know table 503 by heart? Most likely not I'm guessing but Ballast doesn't mention to look at table 503 for reference making you think you should memorize the table.

You'll likely be given some basic information and have to do a simple calc.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:34 pm

anonymous283 wrote:I answered ACEF because I've never come across loading spaces in NYC zoning but I have come across minimum amount of window exposure in the form of light and air requirements for quality housing...

AC&F are gimmes.
B: I have rarely seen this, but is in fact in my current ordinance.
D: Very common.
E: Have never seen in a zoning ordinance unless you count widow alignment for privacy, which I have rarely seen.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby anonymous283 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for the response coach. I really don't understand how residential is the worst place for a college (as opposed to commercial, industrial). Pretty much every college I've been to was in a residential area. Anyways question 40 in 2nd set of practice questions states all exterior pedestrian walks must be accessible... You can't have one ramping somewhere else while another has stairs due to greater elevation change?
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm

anonymous283 wrote:I really don't understand how residential is the worst place for a college (as opposed to commercial, industrial).

Traffic, parking, noise, generally bad impacts.

Pretty much every college I've been to was in a residential area.

I dare say that in most cases, residential built up around existing campus.

Anyways question 40 in 2nd set of practice questions states all exterior pedestrian walks must be accessible... You can't have one ramping somewhere else while another has stairs due to greater elevation change?

One accessible route is required to all facilities/features.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby anonymous283 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm

This is kaplan question 16. It is incorrect. ADA allows for 1:8 for ramps not higher than 3". It's funny because the question appears to be a trick but they even got it wrong.
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:28 pm

anonymous283 wrote:This is kaplan question 16. It is incorrect. ADA allows for 1:8 for ramps not higher than 3". It's funny because the question appears to be a trick but they even got it wrong.

That's only for existing buildings and only if limited space does not allow for 1:12.
Answering questions based on extreme exceptions is a bad idea.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:35 am

I did not know that thanks
anonymous283

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN