SPD Vignettes - is it passing?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

SPD Vignettes - is it passing?

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Please see attached image. I had to scramble to finish this in an hour. I had to redesign the whole thing because I didn't realize the tower and the restaurant have to be 210 feet apart which is practically opposite ends of the site. This made the office tower have to go in the southwest corner. My worries with this attempt is the entrance to the office tower isn't parallel to the road for visibility but I'd argue its still visible right? Also can driveways and walkways overlap existing trees by any amount without it being considered removed? How far can new trees overlap? How close can walkways be to driveways?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Re: SPD Vignettes - is it passing?

Postby anonymous283 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 am

This took me like 5min and I think I did it the way kaplan and dorf taught. The ncarb exam guide shows something similar but with more of the new grading east of the display not west with wider swales to the east. Is that necessary? Kaplan shows the wrapping contour ending at an acute point rather than a open trapezoidal area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Please see attached image. I had to scramble to finish this in an hour. I had to redesign the whole thing because I didn't realize the tower and the restaurant have to be 210 feet apart which is practically opposite ends of the site. This made the office tower have to go in the southwest corner. My worries with this attempt is the entrance to the office tower isn't parallel to the road for visibility but I'd argue its still visible right? No. It's recessed, so it's not visible from Bentley. Also can driveways and walkways overlap existing trees by any amount without it being considered removed? Use the check function. If it's red, it's dead. How far can new trees overlap? Doesn't matter.How close can walkways be to driveways? Why would that matter?

Main drive fails to connect to the street. Fatal.
HCP parking should be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.
Why are there 2 walks to the existing walk?
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required and is a safety issue.
Service drive violates the 5' building setback.
Coniferous trees should not overlap paving. See the tree diagrams. You cannot walk or drive under them.
West half of the PP has no winter wind protection.

Before starting your solution, read the entire program, and practice taking notes.
Sparky83

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:02 pm

anonymous283 wrote:This took me like 5min and I think I did it the way kaplan and dorf taught. The ncarb exam guide shows something similar but with more of the new grading east of the display not west with wider swales to the east. Is that necessary? Kaplan shows the wrapping contour ending at an acute point rather than a open trapezoidal area.Doesn't matter.

How did you verify the minimum slope?
Sparky83

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
anonymous283 wrote:Please see attached image. I had to scramble to finish this in an hour. I had to redesign the whole thing because I didn't realize the tower and the restaurant have to be 210 feet apart which is practically opposite ends of the site. This made the office tower have to go in the southwest corner. My worries with this attempt is the entrance to the office tower isn't parallel to the road for visibility but I'd argue its still visible right? No. It's recessed, so it's not visible from Bentley. Also can driveways and walkways overlap existing trees by any amount without it being considered removed? Use the check function. If it's red, it's dead. How far can new trees overlap? Doesn't matter.How close can walkways be to driveways? Why would that matter?

Main drive fails to connect to the street. Fatal.
HCP parking should be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.
Why are there 2 walks to the existing walk?
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required and is a safety issue.
Service drive violates the 5' building setback.
Coniferous trees should not overlap paving. See the tree diagrams. You cannot walk or drive under them.
West half of the PP has no winter wind protection.

Before starting your solution, read the entire program, and practice taking notes.

Thanks for the response. There are 2 walks to link the restaurant quicker to the street. Why are we not allowed to draw 2? Kaplan shows walks crossing driveways in both their site design vignettes so is that really a concern? Good catch on the service drive - I thought the overhang had to cover the road like on another practice vignette. What really screwed me was the PP having to get noon sun which NCARB only does partially - how should I have known that was allowed?! That's why my office's entrance isn't facing parallel to the road, which you say is 100% required.
anonymous283

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
anonymous283 wrote:This took me like 5min and I think I did it the way kaplan and dorf taught. The ncarb exam guide shows something similar but with more of the new grading east of the display not west with wider swales to the east. Is that necessary? Kaplan shows the wrapping contour ending at an acute point rather than a open trapezoidal area.Doesn't matter.

How did you verify the minimum slope?

Good point. I didn't. You have to make a 25' radius circle and see if it can't fit between any contour lines right?
anonymous283

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm

anonymous283 wrote:
Thanks for the response. There are 2 walks to link the restaurant quicker to the street. Is "quicker" in the program?Why are we not allowed to draw 2? "minimize paving" is a program requirement. This is why I suggest practicing taking notes.Kaplan shows walks crossing driveways in both their site design vignettes so is that really a concern? We call it CRAPlan for good reason. NEVER use them for the vignettes. Their books are full of mistakes.Good catch on the service drive - I thought the overhang had to cover the road like on another practice vignette. There is no overhang.What really screwed me was the PP having to get noon sun which NCARB only does partially - how should I have known that was allowed?! They are conflicting requirements. You have to meet both. That's why my office's entrance isn't facing parallel to the road, which you say is 100% required.Can you see a recessed door? Do you want to risk a return trip to the testing room?
Sparky83

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Good point. I didn't. You have to make a 25' radius circle and see if it can't fit between any contour lines right?

That won't work if you have to measure a distance that is not a straight line.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN