Site Planning Vignette-Testing Soon-Please Help

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Planning Vignette-Testing Soon-Please Help

Postby hangryarch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Here's my first attempt at the planning vignette. I'm testing soon so I'm hoping someone can let me know what's going on (Sparky?) . Will I need to know how to do an angled parking stall at all?

Here are some questions related to my vignette:

Can the pedestrian plaza be a walk to the handicap spaces?
Does my plaza get sun? What’s an easy way to figure out sun being allowed or shaded from noon sun? Is this a fatal error? Is the sun angle coming from the northwest and casting a shadow or am I missing something?
Is this too much walk on the south side of the parking lot?
Are these trees enough to block the wind?
Does the public walk need to touch the main entry triangle at the restaurant?
What are the FATAL errors in my solution?
Service drive: I’ve seen solutions that have the service drive drawn as shown, and others where the drive, faces and drives up to the service entry (rotate the service drive in my image)...I’ve seen Sparky say that violates the 5’ setback rule for buildings to driveways. Is that because the drive is facing the service entry, as opposed to running along it (like shown in my solution?) Or should my solution also have a 5’ setback as well?

You guys are all awesome! Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hangryarch

Re: Site Planning Vignette-Testing Soon-Please Help

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 am

hangryarch wrote:Hi all,

Here's my first attempt at the planning vignette. I'm testing soon so I'm hoping someone can let me know what's going on (Sparky?) . Will I need to know how to do an angled parking stall at all?

Here are some questions related to my vignette:

Can the pedestrian plaza be a walk to the handicap spaces? That is answered in the SPD study guide.
Does my plaza get sun? Not enough.What’s an easy way to figure out sun being allowed or shaded from noon sun? They give you the height of the building and noon sun angle. Is this a fatal error? Not by itself.Is the sun angle coming from the northwest and casting a shadow or am I missing something? NOON sun angle. Why would that be from the northwest?
Is this too much walk on the south side of the parking lot? No.
Are these trees enough to block the wind? No. There are gaps.
Does the public walk need to touch the main entry triangle at the restaurant? It must touch or overlap the entry rectangle.
What are the FATAL errors in my solution? No fatal errors.
Service drive: I’ve seen solutions that have the service drive drawn as shown, and others where the drive, faces and drives up to the service entry (rotate the service drive in my image)...I’ve seen Sparky say that violates the 5’ setback rule for buildings to driveways. Nope.Is that because the drive is facing the service entry, as opposed to running along it (like shown in my solution?) Or should my solution also have a 5’ setback as well? The BUILDING is blue. 5' setback applies to the BUILDING. Drive must touch or overlap the service entry rectangle. Direction of approach does not matter.

You guys are all awesome! Thanks!

A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant.
Too much of the PP is shaded by the OT.
New coniferous trees block part of the view of the pond from the restaurant.
New coniferous trees upwind of the restaurant serve no purpose.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN